Cleaning after 6 months / 13k miles

Post pictures of your CX3 here
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

I understand your concern but when you look at a clay mitt it is full of small "pockets" that catch the bad stuff and easily rinses away. I have not had any issues of transferring the removed contaminates back onto the car providing you regularly rinse it. A friend of mine who is a valeter uses various products to remove iron particles prior to a final clay - have not heard him complain about any "pong", but maybe you don't talk about such things in public.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.

DrewUK

Post by DrewUK »

Now that’s super shiny 😁

Nice garden handy handy 👍
CX-3 Sport Nav+, Soul Red Crystal, 2.0 Petrol, Automatic, Safety Pack.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I do accept it is pleasing to have a nice clean shiny car, but I wouldn't want to go out in it if the roads were wet and I had done all that polishing. For me the biggest buzz I get is driving them. I did have Diamondbrite put on my MX5 and I am very pleased I did. It always looks shiny after a quick wash and that is easy to do. The CX-3 visits the car wash to keep it clean and it is lovely to look at after a wash. It is used as an everyday drive so to go through the clay mitt process and then see it covered in mud the next day would dishearten me. But as mentioned earlier cleaning a car can be a sort of relaxation. Personally relaxation for me (if I wasn't driving) would be feet up in the garden with a nice cold beer. ;)
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Interesting thread - never used a clay bar (or mitt) but do use the 2 bucket method with 2 microfibre mitts and a chemical guys (iirc?) drying sheet, along with more thick microfibre cloths for applying/buffing a range of Autoglym products. Recently bought an Autobrite snowfoam lance for the Karcher - just waiting for the right weather to use it!
What do people here use on their wheels? Anything special to remove brakedust etc?
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Hi AndyRen,
Just my opinion but I would be careful using a pressure washer on the diamond cut wheels. Past experience has shown thar the finish isn't always that tough and can be damaged with high pressure water. As for keeping the wheels clean I had mine off as soon as I got the car and polished and waxed them both inside and out. It makes cleaning a lot easier. Now for the sad bit, for the difficult to get to corners where brake dust builds up I use an Oral B battery toothbrush, the ones with the small round head, dipped it soapy water it cleans a treat.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Handy Andy wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:58 pm Hi AndyRen,
Just my opinion but I would be careful using a pressure washer on the diamond cut wheels. Past experience has shown thar the finish isn't always that tough and can be damaged with high pressure water. As for keeping the wheels clean I had mine off as soon as I got the car and polished and waxed them both inside and out. It makes cleaning a lot easier. Now for the sad bit, for the difficult to get to corners where brake dust builds up I use an Oral B battery toothbrush, the ones with the small round head, dipped it soapy water it cleans a treat.
Thanks for the heads up Andy but I would never dream of using a 'raw' pressure washer on any area of my car - especially the wheels - it will be in conjunction with the foaming spray head which (l understand) reduces the pressure somewhat.- I was wondering if anyone used any commercial wheel cleaner - suitable for diamond cut of course? The stuff that turns purple etc on contact with iron filings.
Plus there's several additives out there that can be 'polished' onto the wheels that supposedly 'bond' to the surface to help keep the dreaded wireworm etc at bay...

I like the OralB trick.... But not enough to use it myself :lol: btw, pattern brush heads available on eBay are pretty much the same as the OralB originals - we use them all the time 8-)
AndyRen

Post by AndyRen »

That's some shine you have there Greenman, concourse standard!

Andy, your grass needs a cut :lol: - although judging by the condition of the fuscia (in the pot to the left) and what I think is an Acer at the bottom of your garden... I think the pic is from a previous year?
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

AndyRen wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:47 am That's some shine you have there Greenman, concourse standard!

Andy, your grass needs a cut :lol: - although judging by the condition of the fuscia (in the pot to the left) and what I think is an Acer at the bottom of your garden... I think the pic is from a previous year?
Well spotted. it was the last cut from last year.
Boyle de Cabbage

Post by Boyle de Cabbage »

AndyRen wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:43 pm Interesting thread - never used a clay bar (or mitt) but do use the 2 bucket method with 2 microfibre mitts and a chemical guys (iirc?) drying sheet, along with more thick microfibre cloths for applying/buffing a range of Autoglym products. Recently bought an Autobrite snowfoam lance for the Karcher - just waiting for the right weather to use it!
What do people here use on their wheels? Anything special to remove brakedust etc?
You use a similar procedure to me. Although I already snow foam first for a touchless pre-wash. My secret weapon to finish is hydreseal, a hydrophobic coating applied in the foam lance, rinsed then towelled off. It is scrumptious and drives my neighbour mad with jealousy! Although watch your eyes with it - it is seriously harmful - use goggles.

For wheels I spray - garden sprayer - traffic removal film (TFR) then wheel wash in the usual way. If brake dust looks heavy I might use Iron Out first to dissolve away residue. Recommend Car Cleaning Guru on YouTube - he's taught me all I know!

For those using a commercial car wash get a very bright torch, lean over the bonnet and cover your head and bonnet under a large cloth to shade it. Shine the torch around and ask yourself where all those scratches came from.
Mazda paint is crap! Mazda should be ashamed of themselves!.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Boyle de Cabbage, nice to know there is someone out there as obsessive as me....I had snow on the bonnet and I caught some kids scraping it of with their hands, they got shouted at at. When the snow had gone yes out came the torch and checking the bonnet in the bright sun for those micro scratches from every angle, garage full of not halve used products which I had to buy, is it a illness !!!!! :lol:
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019