battery!

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Car used this morning absolutely ok, went to take a neighbour to hospital this afternoon as she had just broken her wrist and the engine would - not - turn! Dash lights ok, HUD raises then immediately lowers, centre screen not illuminated.... Put a meter across the battery to find just 9 volts! Weird! Istop hasn't worked since before Covid with the battery not ready blue illumination so I should have guessed it's days were numbered, but to appear fine one minute then complete failure the next I find strange - unless it's a result of being a stop\start battery?.... EuroCarParts Bosch battery £188.... Mazda replacement £114 and luckily the alternator is charging ok - nice easy job changing the battery (for a change!) But blooming heck it's heavy!.... And also I didn't have to reset the istop as it all worked first time....... For nearly 2 years😊👍🏻
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I guess mine will be up for renewal soon then :|
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

jtonline wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:06 pm I guess mine will be up for renewal soon then :|
'they' say between 3 and 5 years for a car battery lifespan so you're doing well Julian! I'm quite glad it happened in the summer months (summer???) and not in 6" of snow!
I've invested in a high power battery booster\starter (for diesels up to 7l!) and may just keep it in the boot - it's got me and my eldest son out of trouble on a few occasions - and it'll power\charge your mobile if needed.
santa

Post by santa »

jtonline wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:06 pm I guess mine will be up for renewal soon then :|
If you haven't changed it yet, then it's most likely due a new and sooner rather than later ;-)
I changed my battery before summer (the car was 5½ years at that time) when it started showing a couple of i-Stop errors (not in the economy app but in the actual error app).
The garage meassured the battery and it had a slightly low voltage, so I just bit the bullit and bought a new one.

And everything was working again :-)
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
AndyRen

Post by AndyRen »

I agree with Santa, it's 6 years to the month your car has been on the road Julian and if you're sure it has never been changed its best to do it before the bad weather sets in (next week???😳🤔😂) rather than spend a day in the rain\snow sorting it out!
captaindave

Post by captaindave »

Hi all,

New Battery time ?

My wife's CX3 failed to start a couple of times recently ( 2018 so not 4 years old yet ) she got out car, locked it, unlocked it, and then started ok ?

Today i was with her and it happened again after we stopped at a petrol station, same procedure got it going again.

Had a look at the Fuel Economy Monitor : I-STOP Not Ready ( she dosnt use this to be honest ) and the 2 symbols next to that both in a " blue haze "

I dont know what the first symbol represents, but the second one is definitely battery.

Also it is not showing Average Mileage , whether that is connected to the issue or not ?

Also had a look at the Vehicle Status Monitor - No Warnings Found.

Didnt see any dash warning lights.

Thanks for any feedback.
2018 CX3 SE-Nav Petrol, manual , Soul Red.
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Does a battery last LONGER if a car is used daily for at least an hour or so or an obvious big trip? I only ask since last year dozens of motorists , if not thousands, hardly used their vehicles at all from March till July-and december till March 2021-hence a shorter battery life?
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

captaindave wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:47 pm Hi all,

New Battery time ?

My wife's CX3 failed to start a couple of times recently ( 2018 so not 4 years old yet ) she got out car, locked it, unlocked it, and then started ok ?

Today i was with her and it happened again after we stopped at a petrol station, same procedure got it going again.

Had a look at the Fuel Economy Monitor : I-STOP Not Ready ( she dosnt use this to be honest ) and the 2 symbols next to that both in a " blue haze "

I dont know what the first symbol represents, but the second one is definitely battery.

Also it is not showing Average Mileage , whether that is connected to the issue or not ?

Also had a look at the Vehicle Status Monitor - No Warnings Found.

Didnt see any dash warning lights.

Thanks for any feedback.

I could be wrong but it doesn't sound like a vehicle battery fault. When you say it failed to start, do you mean it was just dead? Did the light on the Start/Stop button flash amber or the key indicator on the dash flash red? (See page 4-6 onwards of Owner's Manual).

In the Fuel Economy Monitor the lack of a blue halo around the battery icon means that i-stop won't activate as the battery hasn't sufficient charge at that time, but it often happens and is not necessarily indicative of a failing battery.

Are you aware that you have to cycle through the various options with Info button on the steering wheel before Average MPG is shown?
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
captaindave

Post by captaindave »

Hi Julian, cheers for feedback again.

Yes,there was no response when pressing Start button.

Since i posted, she told me that she did indeed see the "red" key indicator, so i have replaced the fob battery - she will be using car for work today, so ill see if anything changes.

Re Fuel Economy Monitor - There IS a blue halo round battery icon, my mistake i thought that indicated a fault !

Also, i have never noticed an " Info" button on steering wheel, but i dont drive it, will check that out ,

Thanks
captaindave

Post by captaindave »

Just to update, after changing the fob battery, she-who-must-be-obeyed, reports that everything is ok again !

To be honest, i didnt think it had been that long since i previously replaced fob battery, but its probably my memory playing tricks on me again :-)

Cheers for feedback.