CTEK Charger

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Boyle de Cabbage

Post by Boyle de Cabbage »

I know some forum members have a CTEK charger; I'm unsure on the healthy function of mine and am seeking help.

Whilst installing some infotainment system software yesterday, I connected a CT5 'Time to Go' charger to the car. I used the positive terminal of the battery and a ground terminal on the chassis side of the battery management system, as advised in the instructions. After I had finished the system update I was surprised to find all lights on the CT5 out except the power light.

I disconnected and reconnected so I could stand and watch what happened to the indicators. The 'Time to Go' version has a sequence of lights indicating time left to charge. Initially a couple of green lights came on and soon went off leaving only the power light as already described.
I queried this with the dealer and was asked to try the charger again, but this time with negative on the battery negative and watch the lights and report back. This time I had amber lights indicating charging until a very, very dim green 'Go' light illuminated and about an hour later a green 'Care' light came on.

So my question is, is it safe to charge the battery without the management system in series with the battery? (The amber lights are a concern.) And how is the brightness of other users indicators; is mine a cause for return?
Mazda paint is crap! Mazda should be ashamed of themselves!.