Urgent problem Infotainment

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Zeta1

Post by Zeta1 »

Hi
I have a problem with the infotainment system of my 2016 CX-3.

There is a radio frequency carrier at about 145.600Mhz (exact freq appears to be 145.598.200Mhz) that appears to come from the amplifier/entertainment system.

With the 15A fuse (audio 2) removed from the cars fuse box the problem goes, (In this mode the infotainment system powers up but there is no audio).

Using a portable radio I can walk around the car with severe pickup. I can still pick the frequency from about 3 to 4 meters away. I have also tried another CX-3 with the same results

The main problem is that the Radio Amateur frequency band for 2mts covers 144.000 Mhz to 146.000 Mhz, the radio repeater that covers most of Somerset transmits on 145.600 Mhz. The interfering frequency from the mazda is right on top of this and completely wipes out all reception from the transmitter (using in car amateur radio equipment). Adjacent channels either side of this frequency are completely clear of the interference.

I am not sure if cars are subject to EMC regulations or not? How ever the main problem remains, that I cannot receive the relay transmitter on 145.600Mhz because of the cars interference. I have discussed this with our Mazda dealer but they dont seem to be aware of any problems (I am due to take the car up in a weeks time to demonstrate the problem).

I would appreciate any information or if any one has any suggestions.

Regards

Zeta

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I may be doing them an injustice, but I doubt your dealership will understand the cause. You've identified that it's not just your car. You could raise it with Mazda UK customer services and ask them to raise it with the technical team, however, it seems quite a niche problem, and IMO a fix might not be forthcoming very quickly, if at all.

If removing the fuse has no other side effects, perhaps you could put a switch or relay in to conveniently cut that circuit whilst you're using the amateur radio equipment?

(Ex. RSGB RS45255)
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Zeta1

Post by Zeta1 »

Thanks for the info.. I will see how far the mazda dealer will go, though as you say, I don't think they will understand the cause. Yes I will look at raising it with the UK Customer services.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Zeta1 wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 6:48 pm. . .I am not sure if cars are subject to EMC regulations or not? . .

Declarations of Conformity are in Section 8 of the Owner's Manual. On page 8-20 of my manual and on page 8-23 of the current 8FU7 Owner's Manual it says: "...Your Mazda has been tested and certified to the UNECE *1 10 regulation as related to electromagnetic compatibility. Radio Frequency (RF) transmitter equipment (e.g. cellular telephones, amateur radio transmitters, etc.) may only be fitted to your Mazda if they comply with the parameters shown in the table below.
*1 UNECE stands for United Nations Economic Commission for Europe...
" etc.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Zeta1

Post by Zeta1 »

Update.
Just been to dealer to demonstrate the problem, but as it's an unusable fault they will have to refer to Mazda.
While I was there I checked another CX-3 and CX-5 and confirm both have the same problem.
As it appears to be a EMC issue I will also refer the problem to the RSGB (radio society of Great Britain) who have an EMC committee.
Zeta1

Post by Zeta1 »

Updated....

Mazda (U.K.) appear to think that there is no problem with the car/system..unfortunately this is more of a "EMC" issue so I think this problem goes over their heads.
The infotainment is marketed by Visteon and they supply Mazda, Ford etc. I have emailed Visteon and hope they can through some light on this.
Gus

Post by Gus »

I think you will find that unless someone complains about you and that it is stopping them watching eastenders or listening to radio 2, you are treading a very lonely path.

Just my experience, good luck.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
CX-5, Sport Nav+, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Sep 2018.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Exactly and hardly an urgent one. I dropped a smartie down the back of the seat would be far more urgent.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

You are a smartie anchorman!!!! ☺ lol
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White