Front facing cameras on the Sports Nav

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
bloodline

Post by bloodline »

I have just bought a new CX-3 Sports Nav (patrol 2WD), to replace my beloved mk4 MX-5 which has suddenly become too small for my now growing family.

I was wondering if anyone has identified what each of the front facing cameras on the windscreen are... I have attached a photo.

IMG_1436.JPG

CX-3 Sport Nav Petrol Manual 120ps FWD Dynamic Blue, London England ;)

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Welcome to the forums.

On my model, the two that are one above the other on the right of your picture are the near-infrared laser and its receiver that detect a vehicle ahead for Smart City Brake Support (SCBS). I think on the new models they've been done away with and the FSC is used instead of laser.

The one at the bottom left of your picture is the Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) for Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS), headlight High Beam Control (HBC, for those vehicles equipped with it), and Smart Brake Support (SBS). In the latest models, I understand it's also used for Adaptive LED Headlights (ALH), Driver Attention Alert (DAA), Traffic Sign Recognition System (TSR) & Advanced Smart City Brake Support (Advanced SCBS).

Then there's an optical light level sensor for the auto-lights which doubles up as rain sensor for the auto-windscreen wipers.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
bloodline

Post by bloodline »

Hi jtonline, thanks for this!

I figured the top left was rain sensor (and ambient light) as that triggers the wipers when you sprinkle water on it, my MX-5 had those features too. The bottom left does look like the lane departure warning, again as I had in my MX-5, which also had Headlight Highbeam Control, but this car doesn't :(

I'm told my car has Smart City Brake, but I have never experienced how it operates, so I'm not really sure what it does.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Smart City Brake Support helps avoid frontal collisions while driving at the slow speeds (10 to 30km/h), e.g. in urban areas or congested traffic.

When driving at low speeds, if the system detects that you're getting too close to the vehicle in front, it prepares the brake system to be ready to deliver maximum stopping power when you eventually apply the brakes. If you don't take evasive action such as braking or steering, the system simultaneously applies the brakes and reduces engine output, with the aim of avoiding the collision or reducing the severity of impact.

The new Advanced SCBS on the latest CX-3 works at up to approx. 80km/h and has been designed to also detect pedestrians and have a wider detection area.
Julian.
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
DrewUK

Post by DrewUK »

If some of the cameras have dual functionality does that mean it would be easy job to enable high beam control for instance ?
CX-3 Sport Nav+, Soul Red Crystal, 2.0 Petrol, Automatic, Safety Pack.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

This is it on the CX5. See if you can make sense of it.
I high beam cont.pdf
(282 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
bloodline

Post by bloodline »

From anchorman's PDF, it looks like the lane departure warning hardware is used for the highbeen control, though the software would be more complex. It may well be that the highbeam control needs a more powerful CPU module as it is a far more complex task. If this is the case I would assume the more powerful CPU module is a straight drop in upgrade on the CAN bus.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I think it's fair to say that if an electronic sub-system on the CX-3 is factory fit and not offered as a dealer fit option, then it's generally not practical/cost effective to retro fit it. These sub-systems are typically reliant on the existence of various electronic control units that may or may not be present. They require programming and are interlinked via the CAN bus.
Julian.
DrewUK

Post by DrewUK »

Thanks for all the techno explanations fellas - much appreciated :D
CX-3 Sport Nav+, Soul Red Crystal, 2.0 Petrol, Automatic, Safety Pack.
alanandlyn

Post by alanandlyn »

bloodline wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:04 pm From anchorman's PDF, it looks like the lane departure warning hardware is used for the highbeen control, though the software would be more complex. It may well be that the highbeam control needs a more powerful CPU module as it is a far more complex task. If this is the case I would assume the more powerful CPU module is a straight drop in upgrade on the CAN bus.
I asked about adding the high beam control soon after getting my car as I assumed all the "kit" was probably all there and it would just be a software update. I was told it would need new lights (no idea why), new dash (the little 'lights on' display changes apparently), new switch gear ... so no it wasn't possible to enable it.
CX-3 SportNav 2WD, Petrol Auto, Ceramic, Stone Leather :)