Smart City Brake Support

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
HumberMart

Post by HumberMart »

I've just collected my new CX-3 GT Sport auto yesterday.

I was expecting it to have 'Smart City Brake Support', as it's clearly listed as a feature of this model in the brochures/web site etc.

Having driven it back home from Norwich in busy rush hour traffic, I realised that I'd never had any warning of being too close to the car in front.

Studying the manual, it shows an on/off switch for the SCBS, in the same location as the lane keeping and traction control switches, but mine just has a blank cover in the spot where the SCBS switch should be.

It's looking very much like mine doesn't have SCBS. Please can anyone with a GT Sport check theirs?
CX-3 GT Sport Auto (2.0 petrol 120 2WD) in Ceramic

santa

Post by santa »

Is Your CX-3 the new 2017 or the older one?
On the older on, SCBS only works under 30 km/h, the new one extends this to 80 km/h (I think).
If You don't have the physical on/off button, You have a soft on/off option in the settings menu of the MZD Connect.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
HumberMart

Post by HumberMart »

Ahhh, solved it, found it in the MZD thingy.....

but it only appears in the setting menu is the engine in running it seems.

sorry, just seen your reply santa. Many thanks!
santa

Post by santa »

Yeah, it's a bit strange that the engine has to be running to change certain settings, like scbs, lights, doors and so on.
I haven't seen my scbs in action yet, only the sbs which is part of the mrcc (adaptive cruise control).
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
HumberMart

Post by HumberMart »

Well I've now tried adjusting it for both 'near' and 'far' detection, and can't get it to respond, no matter how close I dare go up to a parked car before i hit the brakes.

I understand the new GT Sport is supposed to have the latest optical detection based version that also responds to non-metallic objects (humans hopefully), as opposed to the old laser system, but it certainly doesn't seem to keen to take over control, or even issue a warning.

I've used similar systems in a Golf and a B Class, and they flash a red light and bleep, quite often in busy traffic, and long before they consider helping you out to press the pedal!

Maybe there's an algorithm that required the car to have been in 'city traffic' for a certain amount of time before it will activate, to avoid spurious alarms?
Graham

Post by Graham »

Hi HumberMart,

My SCBS has operated two or three times since I got my CX-3, but never approaching a car.

My work place has a barrier (a horizontal pole on an arm that raises to a vertical position) that requires a car to stop and use a key to enter, but automatically opens as you approach it when leaving.
It is on leaving, just as the barrier is going up, and possibly going a bit faster than usual that the SCBS has kicked in.

It's a really strange experience and I wasn't sure what had just happened the first time. I eventually figured out that it may have been the SCBS and checked the manual.
If I remember correctly, the manual says that the SCBS only works at low speed and when approaching a MOVING car !

I thought it a bit strange at the time, that it wouldn't work approaching a brick wall, but would for a car moving slower than you.

I have a July '15 model, and santa has said a new version is now on newer models, so I don't know if what I've said will be relevant to your case.
CX-3 Dynamic Blue SE-L 2.0l petrol manual.
Gus

Post by Gus »

I have seen it tested at a dealers, they put a jacket through its arms over a broom handle, so it hangs down and looks like a torso, one guy holds that out so he is safely out the way (the person not the jacket) then the driver heads towards the jacket and SCBS should kick in...... test at your and your assistants risk and stay safe.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
CX-5, Sport Nav+, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Sep 2018.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

I remember when Top Gear tested it, in the CX5, a few years ago.

It didn't work ...and the car crashed....
HumberMart

Post by HumberMart »

Finally managed to prove the system is active!

Taking account of some of the research, and avoiding all the checks and balances that defeat the system, I drove straight at a parked car at about 20 mph for over 100 yards, planning to swerve at the last minute.

A couple of car lengths before the parked car, the system did all it could to alert me!
Deano

Post by Deano »

Anyone else had the amber scbs warning indication lamp light up for no apparent reason?
I have it randomly come on and stay on for several minutes then go out when driving. It has happened 4 times now when mainly driving at night. I have checked the windscreen each time and it's clean?
Strange.
2017 CX-3 GT Sport, manual, Meteor Grey Mica :)