Has anyone "chipped" their CX yet?

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
GeeJam

Post by GeeJam »

Because their was still quite a lot of space under that huge CX-3's beautiful curvy bonnet, we've replaced our Mazda standard petrol lump with a 427 cubic inch V8 with supercharger - and am currently hitting quarter mile figures of 3.2 seconds running on Nitro-Methane. Wheel spin still needs sorting out though.

Have I destroyed any chance of retaining my 3-year warranty?

(sarc)
CX-3 Sport Nav 2.0L Petrol. Manual. Soul Red & Half Stone interior. From new Sept 2015. South Lincolnshire UK.

HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

Lol, I bet you're not even reaching 20mpg with that.... Would be fun though.
Last edited by HouseSpider on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

I got a bl**dy chip on my bonnet not long after getting the car. Fortunately I had the Mazda touch up stick kit to hand 😉
SINCE FEB 2018 I NO LONGER OWN VEHICLE
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Right near the beginning of the handbook it says that the car has a data recorder that can be requested by the police in the event of an accident. That data recorder measures certain engine parameters as well as speed. All I would say is that in the event of a catastrophic engine or transmission failure, they could tell if the engine is running remapped and they may reject warranty even if in reality it wasn’t linked. What happens after 3 years of course is up to the user but I wouldn’t fit one. It is also classed as a notifiable alteration as far as insurance is concerned. This is not a lecture, just saying.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

Not sure where in the handbook it states that - maybe only specific to your region and /or your CX-5 (this is for CX-3s) as I can't see it.
Anyway any data recorder will measure certain engine parameter, probably throttle opening, speed, revs. It may have an accelerometer in it. Probably akin to the black boxes insurance companies fit especially for younger drivers. But what it won't have is a dyno to measure bhp or torque.
I suggest such data capture would not identify if the ECU had been remapped, only the way the car was being driven at the time.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

HouseSpider wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:29 pm Not sure where in the handbook it states that - maybe only specific to your region and /or your CX-5 (this is for CX-3s) as I can't see it.
Anyway any data recorder will measure certain engine parameter, probably throttle opening, speed, revs. It may have an accelerometer in it. Probably akin to the black boxes insurance companies fit especially for younger drivers. But what it won't have is a dyno to measure bhp or torque.
I suggest such data capture would not identify if the ECU had been remapped, only the way the car was being driven at the time.
Actually in my new CX-5 handbook it’s right at the back in the customer information section. I’ve not got the old CX-3 manual but fairly sure it’s the same.......

st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

The identical information is in the identical section 8-5 in the European version of the CX-3 manual from 2016.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Deleted User 155

Post by Deleted User 155 »

st3v3cx-3 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:16 pm The identical information is in the identical section 8-5 in the European version of the CX-3 manual from 2016.

...so to be clear, there's a record everytime we exceed the speed limit - and that can be made available to the 'relevant authorities'?! :o :idea:
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Yes. It’s not unusual on a modern car but the police can download it and use it as evidence especially if there are fatalities involved.
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

It's the same if you have a dash cam, the police can seize the sd card as evidence.