Folding mirror motor wouldn't stop

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
deiseldoo

Post by deiseldoo »

Today, something happened with my CX3 folding mirror on the drivers side when the motor kept running. It eventually stopped after around 20 seconds after turning the car off. However, as soon as I switched back on, it continued to run. I decided the only course was to pull the fuse and looked in the handbook. This was totally useless being more style than substance as it didn't give anything away about the fuses. Luckily, I had downloaded the uk online manual to my phone and was able to identify the mirror fuse ( number 8 in the footwell), unfortunately, it did nothing so I decided the only thing to do was drive to the dealer.

At the dealer, they decided to unplug the mirror and popped the door panel as they said the fuse would also take out other things ( which my manual didn't indicate). My question therefore is, in case it happens again and I can't just drop by the dealer, does anyone know which fuse it is and does it take out other things (what)?
Mazda CX3 SE nav 1.5D Soul Red

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Under normal circumstances, power is provided to the door mirrors for about 40 seconds after the ignition is switched off unless a door is opened, so that would account for the motor running on after turning the car off. I agree with you that 7.5A fuse 8 in the footwell fuse panel is described as protecting 'Power control mirror', so it's odd that removing it did nothing.

So did the dealer just disconnect and reconnect the mirror wiring behind the door panel?

If I remember correctly, when anchorman had a CX-3, he had a door mirror motor that decided to run constantly whilst the ignition was on and had the mirror assembly replaced under warranty.

If you get your dealer to fit a replacement, it doesn't come with the glass, so you need to make sure they order a couple of the glass pieces too as I understand it's very tricky to remove and replace the glass without breaking it getting it off and on the retaining clips.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
deiseldoo

Post by deiseldoo »

Yes, I thought it was odd too. I checked I had pulled the right fuse as there are two 7.5a together, which i believe I had. The dealer just disconnected behind the door panel ( didn't take it off fully). It's due in on Tuesday for its first service so it was left disconnected. They said they would order the parts up so hopefully it will be done then. I think what surprised me is that it kept running and didn't switch off when the mirror reached position. Maybe they don't use a limit switch and measure the motor torque which if it is slipping will never rise. Probably cheaper because they can do it in the electronics....
Mazda CX3 SE nav 1.5D Soul Red
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

This happened to me a while back. The lever that pulls the mirror in and out broke, and they unplugged the motor inside the door until they could get a replacement mirror. It was replaced under warranty, at no charge.
2016 CX-3 Active, 2.0l, Manual, Ceramic. 82 000 km
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

The mirrors seem to be a weak spot that I’m hoping has been addressed on the new Cx-5. Both my Cx-3 and previous model CX-5 had mirror assemblies for the same reason, the motor drives fell to bits and left the motor running inside the mirror. The first thing the dealer does is check if there is the slightest trace of damage to the casing so it can’t be apportioned to the owner. Even if you had some old damage, you would be faced with a rather expensive bill.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD