Engine cold Start noise

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Picked up new CX3 yesterday from dealer. Well I say 'new' when in fact it's a X demo with 835 on the clock.

I have noticed the engine is noisy when starting from cold. It sounds like a bag of nails for a minute or two then quietens down. This can't be normal so have booked it in to be investigated.

Anyone else having this issue?
SINCE FEB 2018 I NO LONGER OWN VEHICLE
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎

Gus

Post by Gus »

Welcome, give us a sniff of a clue please Petrol or Diesel?
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
CX-5, Sport Nav+, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Sep 2018.
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Thank you Gus.

Sorry about that, was just about to add that it is a 2.0 Ltre petrol Sport Nav.
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎
Gordongilchrist

Post by Gordongilchrist »

Completely normal. The syyactive engine is trying to get heat to the catalytic convertor due to high thermal efficiency of engine n torturous exhaust header pipes. Best not to drive for 10 seconds r so. Unless u want to change catalytic converter early
2017 Mazda CX-3 sport nav 2WD Automatic 120 petrol in white :)
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Thanks for your reply Gordon. I'll still get it checked out just for my own piece of mind.

So far enjoying the car. Looks the business and nippy with it. Not that I'm a speed freak at my age 😉
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

It does like to keep the revs quite high on start up which is quite unusual compared with other cars.

I do get some funny looks sometimes as if I'm revving it like an old banger
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

PERFECTLY NORMAL for a matter of 20 seconds!
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White
Jroper

Post by Jroper »

2017 CX-3 Sport, Auto, AWD
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Thanks everyone.

I use to be a mechanic many years ago and appreciate that engines and technology change and engines can fast idle fairly high from cold. This is due to the oxygen sensor on the exhaust manifold down pipe picking up the ambient temperature of the engine and sending this information to ECU (electronic control unit) which in turn sets the engine fast idle speed until the engine has warmed up to a sufficient temperature and then reduces to its normal level. But in all my years I have never heard what I can only describe as a type of clattering/bearing whining noise coming from my engine at cold start. But, if my Mazda dealer tell me this is normal after inspection then so be it, but until then I'm afraid I remain sceptical.
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

Ours is a petrol - the revs die down fairly quickly but there's no CLATTERING sound to be honest.
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White