Engine cold Start noise

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Sorry anchorman I don't agree, it's a modern car not a tractor. If that was the case the noise would be there constantly, but it disappears after a minute or two while stationary. I'm not convinced it is gearbox related.
SINCE FEB 2018 I NO LONGER OWN VEHICLE
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎

1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

The bulletin I have was sent from Mazda UK via my dealer this week. It covers the Mazda 6 and CX-5 and is dated February 2013! It affects all vehicle listed worldwide.

How they can say it affects my vehicle when it wasn't even produced until 2015 I don't know. And if it did cover the CX-3 why wasn’t a further updated bulletin sent out.

The noise is described as a whining sound in the bulletin. This is not what I would call the noise coming from my vehicle. Two identical petrol CX-3’s were tested on site at my dealership, both from cold, very cold conditions and neither reproduced this noise.

It got me thinking, are Mazda in the habit of still producing vehicles with strange noises from a cold start, and haven’t modified/eliminated this on vehicles FOUR years later.

A Mazda field engineer is trying to be arranged to visit the dealership and clarify if the noise from my vehicle IS normal. I can already guess how that's going to go :roll:

20171212121611032.pdf
(114.73 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Last edited by 1Monty on Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎
Mazdaman72

Post by Mazdaman72 »

Very good nice to know what actually happens
Gordongilchrist

Post by Gordongilchrist »

1Monty wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:51 am The bulletin I have was sent from Mazda UK via my dealer this week. It covers the Mazda 6 and CX-5 and is dated February 2013! It affects all vehicle listed worldwide.

How they can say it affects my vehicle when it wasn't even produced until 2015 I don't know. And if it did cover the CX-3 why wasn’t a further updated bulletin sent out.

The noise is described as a whining sound in the bulletin. This is not what I would call the noise coming from my vehicle. Two identical petrol CX-3’s were tested on site at my dealership, both from cold, very cold conditions and neither reproduced this noise.

It got me thinking, are Mazda in the habit of still producing vehicles with strange noises from a cold start, and haven’t modified/eliminated this on vehicles FOUR years later.

A Mazda field engineer is trying to be arranged to visit the dealership and clarify if the noise from my vehicle IS normal. I can already guess how that's going to go :roll:

20171212121611032.pdf
CN u post a video / audio of sound maybe from within cabin. Everyone will be familiar with sound they experience from there and comment
2017 Mazda CX-3 sport nav 2WD Automatic 120 petrol in white :)
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Update

Well the car went back to the garage over a week ago for more testing. They thought it might be the water pump, but disconnecting the auxiliary belt and testing again from cold made no difference. Then the Mazda field engineer came out to listen to the noise from cold and said it is not coming from the exhaust, so that ruled out the bulletin theory. The latest is, although no one is still a hundred percent sure of the problem, but as the noise is eliminated when the clutch pedal is fully depressed Mazda technical have authorised a new gear box to be fitted. :o

If that doesn't fix it...! A new engine possibly. Can't see that happening.

I will say this for my dealership they are doing their best to get to the bottom of the problem and always keep me updated and provide me with a loan car. But options are running out and unless the new gearbox fixes it it'll be a full refund.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Monty when do you get your car back, buying a new car should be a nice experience, a few teething problems not unexpected, but yours has been ruined, hope your more chilled than me because I would be totally stressed.
I know its only a piece of metal,but its happened to me in the passed and somehow the car is not the same if it has bodywork or major surgery when its new, if you are really into your cars.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

1Monty wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:05 am Sorry anchorman I don't agree, it's a modern car not a tractor. If that was the case the noise would be there constantly, but it disappears after a minute or two while stationary. I'm not convinced it is gearbox related.
I can assure you that many manual gearboxes rattle at idle whether or not it is a modern car and whether or not you agree with me. I’m not suggesting that yours doesn’t have something different going on but the fact remains. If the noise goes when the clutch pedal is depressed, that stops all the shafts in the box from turning and fitting a new gearbox should cure it.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

DaveG wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:05 am Monty when do you get your car back, buying a new car should be a nice experience, a few teething problems not unexpected, but yours has been ruined, hope your more chilled than me because I would be totally stressed.
I know its only a piece of metal,but its happened to me in the passed and somehow the car is not the same if it has bodywork or major surgery when its new, if you are really into your cars.

Don't you worry Dave, I have made my feelings quite clear on that. As time goes on though you get the feeling that you just can't be arsed anymore. Car comes back.......who knows when, but the word is a couple of weeks, maybe sooner as Mazda UK authorised and are being charged £40+ a day for a hire car and won't want to keep that up for long so will be pushing to get the gearbox allocated asap. Will it fix it, who knows, not even they know for sure. If it doesn't it'll be money back please. I'll be going for compo either way.

Typical, I had the hire car delivered on Thursday (Hyundai Tuscan auto) which I was looking foreward to testing the auto side of it when I go down with Aussi flu.

Do you ever get the feeling the worlds against you.
Last edited by 1Monty on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

anchorman wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:44 pm
1Monty wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:05 am Sorry anchorman I don't agree, it's a modern car not a tractor. If that was the case the noise would be there constantly, but it disappears after a minute or two while stationary. I'm not convinced it is gearbox related.
I can assure you that many manual gearboxes rattle at idle whether or not it is a modern car and whether or not you agree with me. I’m not suggesting that yours doesn’t have something different going on but the fact remains. If the noise goes when the clutch pedal is depressed, that stops all the shafts in the box from turning and fitting a new gearbox should cure it.

Let's hope so anchorman otherwise it's a costly mistake for Mazda UK.
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

It just gets worse.

Well, had a phone call in the week to say new gearbox is fitted and tested and so far no noise. But, unfortunately the heads up screen has been scratched. How the hell can the heads up display get scratched. It has nothing to do with what the car came in for (my words to them). Anyway they were going to order a new one @ a cost to them of £240 (so to everyone else, be careful) as they tried substituting the screen from different cars but non would fit. This was going to take the best part of two weeks to come in from either Europe or Japan which to me was unacceptable. After again contacting Mazda UK and airing my frustration things took a different turn as they then swapped the whole heads up display from one of the new demonstrators which normally they wouldn't be allowed to do. Don't ask me why.

So the gearbox is fitted, the heads up display is replaced and the car returned unannounced on Friday. I thought I would have a look round to make sure all was ok with the body work. I get all the way round to the front n/s wing and to my horror what do I see, a scratch approx an inch long with a further chip either side on top of the wing near the head light unit. Words just failed me, I couldn't believe my eyes. I wish I had never set eyes on this bl**dy car and told the delearship the same. I now await to see if an on-sight chip repairer the dealership use can repair it otherwise I assume it will need to go into a body shop.

I started the car from cold this morning all sounded ok. I've yet to road test it myself as I'm still recovering from flu. The driver who brought it back said it drives like a dream, which it did anyway before the gearbox was replaced. I'll take his assumption with a pinch of salt until I've driven it.
Can things get any worse.

IMG_1194.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1196.JPG