Engine cold Start noise

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

Although I have often complained about the relentless tyre noise, I have never experienced the engine noise described when starting from cold.
Yes the idling speed is fast on start up, but by the time I have reversed out of the garage it quickly slows down to normal.
Once under way, the blue "cold" warning light disappears remarkably quickly, even at this time of year.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.

1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

I have now narrowed the noise down. When starting the car this morning i got the same unusual noise. But by chance I had the drivers door open and noticed upon fully engaging the clutch pedal the noise stops. Lift the pedal it comes back, depress the pedal it stops. But I had to be fairly quick as within a couple of minutes the noise had gone, very strange.

Not being at all familiar with the workings of Mazda's I can only assume it may be a problem with the clutch release bearing, which seems strange on a vehicle that has only done under 900 miles. But I guess these things can happen at any age. It's going into the main dealer on the 17th November to be checked. I'll let you know if or what they find.
SINCE FEB 2018 I NO LONGER OWN VEHICLE
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

Yes get it checked 1Monty
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Well, I have had Mazda service on the phone a little while ago and they say they 'think' it's the clutch release bearing but sounded a little vague and will book it in for a replacement in a couple of weeks time once they have had all the various authorisations, but is still safe to drive.

Not too happy to be honest at having to have the gear box taken out so soon on a new car. It's a bit like getting it pranged and needing to go into the body shop for repair. Yes, it may well be as good as new afterwards, but the feeling of having a new unblemished car has gone.

I almost feel like backing the car.
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎
Mrbluesky

Post by Mrbluesky »

I will be interested as how this pans out because a failed clutch release bearing usually makes the most noise when you press the pedal, that is when it has a load on it and is actually doing something. In your case it is the other way round.
It could be that the bearing is not being held properly by the release arm allowing it to loosely jangle, pressing the pedal holds it in place.
But none of answers the question as to why it goes quiet in a couple of minutes, a failed bearing will make a noise hot or cold. And I am no expert on what science Mazda has used in the clutch.

Richard
CX-3 2016 Dynamic Blue Sport Nav 2.0 petrol manual with half Stone Leather.
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Hi Richard,

I was a mechanic, or the posh word these day is Technician, for many years so know the in's and out's of cars pretty well. I too will be interested in their final findings as it does seem a strange one. Anyway, the car is booked in for the 28th & 29th of November to have the work done.

Will keep the thread updated as things progress, hopefully in a positive way.

Stephen
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Well, the car went into the garage yesterday and I picked it up this afternoon after having the clutch release bearing replaced. They couldn't actually say for definite if it was the release bearing that was at fault. I saw the old one and it looked and felt OK to me, but Mazda technical said change it so that's what they done.

We shall see what tomorrow brings when I start it from cold! Personally I'm not convinced this was the cause of the problem, but we shall see.
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

As I thought, that didn't fix it.

Been back onto my dealer today who now wants to arrange to have the car in for a longer period so they can get to the bottom of the problem. This may involve Mazda technical coming to take a look. Should hear tomorrow what arrangements have been made.
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Car back in next Wednesday for several days. That is if the noise returns. The following morning after getting it back from the garage, sure enough there was the noise. But typical, nothing this morning or this evening. Going on a long run over the weekend so will see what materialises.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

The gears in the gearbox will often clatter or rattle when the clutch is released. Its normal as they are not under load.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD