Coolant usage

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I notice on my petrol CX3 that the coolant level has dropped by about 2 centimetres over the first 800 miles. I purchased some FL22 in anticipation of top ups being required, however this seems excessive for a modern car with a sealed cooling system. The checks were carried out of course with a cold engine, the first check being spot on the F mark.
There has been previous posts regarding this so not sure it is OK to open another thread, but would be grateful to see how this compares to other members cars, many thanks.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019

1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Hi Dave

Personally I don't normally bother checking. Unless there's a puddle under the car, and providing it hasn't come from me I assume all is well. Having said that, I have just checked and it is fine, a little higher than the F mark, but then I was out in it earlier this morning.

You say you have topped up to the mark when cold and observed after it has been driven and left to get cold that it has dropped again. There is quite a variation between the minimum and maximum markers. I would top to the F mark from cold and observe over several days if and how far it is dropping. It may just be a case of a little air in the system that is trying to bleed out. Theoretically, being a sealed system it shouldn't drop at all. If at all concerned and for piece of mind I would contact your dealer.
SINCE FEB 2018 I NO LONGER OWN VEHICLE
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

The coolant should be at full in the radiator and between the F and L marks on the coolant reservoir when the engine is cool (Page 6-27 of 2017 Owners Manual).

I don't think you need to be concerned at this stage, but keep an eye on it and contact your dealer if new coolant is required frequently to keep it above the L mark on the reservoir.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

They do often settle after the first factory start up but that should be checked by the dealer before you get it.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Thanks for your replys gents will monitor it for a while. Still wonder though if other petrol CX3's use
coolant, have run Citroens for the last ten years and never needed topping up between services.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

DaveG wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:33 am Thanks for your replys gents will monitor it for a while. Still wonder though if other petrol CX3's use
coolant, have run Citroens for the last ten years and never needed topping up between services.
No coolant or any other fluids used between services in 17 months ownership, apart of course from the washers.

I will be seriously considering a Citroen next time, especially as they have recently developed a new suspension system for improved comfort. Comfort does not seem to be a priority for Mazda. The CX-3's noisy unforgiving ride is by far it's worst feature, even on 16 inch wheels, and the fact that the latest models have added sound insulation proves that the original design was inadequate.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

zoylander wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:08 pm
DaveG wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:33 am Thanks for your replys gents will monitor it for a while. Still wonder though if other petrol CX3's use
No coolant or any other fluids used between services in 17 months ownership, apart of course from the washers.

I will be seriously considering a Citroen next time, especially as they have recently developed a new suspension system for improved comfort. Comfort does not seem to be a priority for Mazda. The CX-3's noisy unforgiving ride is by far it's worst feature, even on 16 inch wheels, and the fact that the latest models have added sound insulation proves that the original design was inadequate.
Everybody to their own, you obviously made the wrong choice of car for you.
I love the firm ride that you get in the CX3 and most of my previous cars have been chosen because of the ride and handling. I love a drivers car and loath the soulless armchair rides from some other cars, but I do understand how others enjoy that type of driving. Please don't complain about the Mazda design, just take more time in selecting a car that suits you.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

Strangways wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:05 pm
zoylander wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Everybody to their own, you obviously made the wrong choice of car for you.
I love the firm ride that you get in the CX3 and most of my previous cars have been chosen because of the ride and handling. I love a drivers car and loath the soulless armchair rides from some other cars, but I do understand how others enjoy that type of driving. Please don't complain about the Mazda design, just take more time in selecting a car that suits you.
At least there will be more of a choice next time, now that diesel is in decline. When I was shopping for a new car 18 months ago the market was still dominated by diesel, and the choice of small £20,000 petrol FWD crossovers with proper torque converter automatic transmission was almost non-existent. The only possible alternative to the CX-3 was the new Suzuki Vitara, but the automatic was only available on the top spec version which inflated the price to about £23,000 for a lot of extra kit which I did not want or need. Add to that the patchy Suzuki dealer network and the choice, such as it was, fell on the CX-3.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

Ten months and no problem with coolant -2.0 petrol Sport Nav
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White
p6nsh

Post by p6nsh »

2 years and 3 months now and never topped the coolant up.Maybe the dealer on servicing has.Still get a thrill when driving the car the novelty has not worn off yet
Machine Grey Sport Nav+ 150ps AWD Auto with safety Pack