Burning Smell

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
gilera

Post by gilera »

Just took delivery of my Luxury petrol model, after second drive and first 20km trip had very bad burning smell and smoke from engine bay, I was obviously very concerned. Looked on this forum but could not find a reference to the problem. Then went on the American forum and on there is over 3 pages of reports. I will be monitoring over the next 500km and hopefully it will drift away.

http://www.cx3forum.com/forum/gtsearch. ... ng%20smell

Mrbluesky

Post by Mrbluesky »

It is probably just paint/preservative burning off of the exhaust system, that being the only part of the engine that should be getting hot enough to potentially cause it. As yours is a petrol model it doesn't have a turbo so it cannot be that but if it were a diesel with a turbo then the turbo does get very hot and an oil supply so a potential source of smoke, but as I say not in your case.
I am unsure where spilled engine oil can run to on a CX-3, but if someone topped up the engine oil before delivery (not that is should have needed it) and some got under the engine top cover it might make its way to the exhaust but that is pure speculation. Check the oil filler cap is fitted properly and not just sitting in place loose and the dipstick pushed fully home.

Richard
CX-3 2016 Dynamic Blue Sport Nav 2.0 petrol manual with half Stone Leather.
gilera

Post by gilera »

Please take a look at the US forum i highlighted in my original post and you will see its not unusual. The saleman here did warn me to expect some smells in the first few miles but i was not expecting the amount of smell and smoke from the rear of engine when the bonnet was opened.
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

If you cannot see anything obviously amiss under the bonnet take it back to the dealer and get it checked out, if nothing else for your own piece of mind.
SINCE FEB 2018 I NO LONGER OWN VEHICLE
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎
Gus

Post by Gus »

I was warned, and could smell it for the first couple of months.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
CX-5, Sport Nav+, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Sep 2018.
gilera

Post by gilera »

Thanks Gus, the salesman did warn me but it was a lot worse than i expected, i am surprised that there are not more reports as there is on the USA forum.
Take a look at this http://www.cx3forum.com/forum/gtsearch. ... ng%20smell
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

The exhaust on these later Mazda’s gets super hot to purge out impurities. It’s nothing to worry about.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD