losing power

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Does the above apply to the fuel filter? and at such low millage

DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Hi Fridge, I think the young lady on the phone was getting confused with biodiesel which does use oils and animal fats can also be used, but of course you do not use this in your Mazda.

I hope you find out the cause, but on a light hearted note can I ask you a question...... The young lady might be right have you smelt Bacon in your car whilst driving.......sorry
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Fridge wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:28 pm Does the above apply to the fuel filter? and at such low millage
I cannot believe that any fuel no matter where you have bought it from would block a fuel filter after such short mileage. It sounds to me that there may have been some contaminates that got into the fuel lines during the build stage or the filter was faulty from birth.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Does this apply to the fuel filter too? and at such low millage
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I totally agree with Handy Andy, no fuel would block a filter no matter where it was purchased unless it was contaminated during storage.

I really wouldn't worry about where to buy your fuel from.

Bearing in mind the milage, I would have a chat with the service manager, and maybe suggest having the system flushed so with the new filter you at least know the system is clean.

There is no point just putting a new filter in if there is contaminants still present.

The filter should not block, the root cause needs investigating, at your milage.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Waxing of diesel in cold weather looks like 'pig fat', e.g. the picture here: https://islanddiesel.ca/part-ii-14-char ... esel-fuel/
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Handy Andy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:57 pm Oh, the old chestnut of supermarket fuels. As far as I know the fuel comes from the same refineries as the brand leaders, the difference is the additives. I cannot comment on the CX-3, neither the petrol or diesel are performace cars. But I do have an opinion at the other end of the spectrum. My Nissan 370z has to run on super grade. Shell V power, Tesco Momentum work great, BP Ultimate is borderline. I have tried many others but remain with Shell or Tesco. This is not a "placebo effect", I really can tell the difference. In fact I am running the CX-3 on Super, just for the heck of it and hang the expense. Waste of money? maybe, but after paying 24 grand for the car, what's a few extra quid.
As an aside, I had the same flannel told me about using supermarket fuel when I brought a new lawnmower several years ago. Guess what, I've always filled the petrol can for the mower at Morri&sons and never had an inkling of any start or running problems. The same with my CX-3.
SINCE FEB 2018 I NO LONGER OWN VEHICLE
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

DaveG wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:16 pm I totally agree with Handy Andy, no fuel would block a filter no matter where it was purchased unless it was contaminated during storage.

I really wouldn't worry about where to buy your fuel from.

Bearing in mind the milage, I would have a chat with the service manager, and maybe suggest having the system flushed so with the new filter you at least know the system is clean.

There is no point just putting a new filter in if there is contaminants still present.

The filter should not block, the root cause needs investigating, at your milage.

If the filter 'was' as the dealer describes 'blocked' then as you say they should have traced the problem back to source, which for me would be draining the fuel tank and flushing the fuel line out. But hey ho, why do that when the easy option is to just change a fuel filter....
SINCE FEB 2018 I NO LONGER OWN VEHICLE
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎
Gordongilchrist

Post by Gordongilchrist »

I never heard such pig shit in my life. I wouldn't take advice from a receptionist either. Ignore everything she said as nonsense. The dealer is responsible for repair / replacement of even perishable wear and tare parts if they fail early. Including clutches now under current UK law. Search dear John site for similar issues. Dealers still try to pass off wear and tear parts though unless people complain. It is just as likely that blockage was caused by them prior to ownership
2017 Mazda CX-3 sport nav 2WD Automatic 120 petrol in white :)
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

The filter didn't 'fail early', it did it's job and filtered out whatever it was that caused it to get blocked before it went further through the system. The manufacturer should not be expected to carry out diagnostics and repair of such issues under warranty, however, Mazda have reimbursed the OP so well done them.

In 2,000 miles, a lot of diesel will have flowed through the filter so I don't see why people are saying that it's likely Mazda's / dealer's fault. We don't know where the OP buys the majority of the diesel used, or the last tank full, and if other people buying from the same place have or will experience issues. It's not unheard of to have bad batches and it's not down to supermarket versus big brands.

Have a read of this article from The Telegraph in 2013 where the RAC were experiencing an increase in levels of callouts in the east of the country due to blocked diesel fuel filters. The article says "...Although the cause of the malfunction is unknown, experts believe it may be down to the effects of cold weather on biodiesel, which is added to all road diesel by law..." and David Bizley, RAC technical director, is reported to have said "...there is no difference in the quality of fuel sold in supermarkets compared with other retailers, but the fact the problem is far more common in the east of the country than the west suggests there could be a difference in the composition of fuel being sold in some areas..."
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd