possible bug on istop system

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

A few weeks ago, the operation of the istop become varied and inconsistent. Initially I thought it was not operating when the headlights on - but occasionally it would.

Then I remembered I had changed a setting to show the mpg display when the engine is switched off and to reset the average mpg when Trip A is reset. No obvious connection but..

turning these off means the istop is operating more frequently and consistently - even with the headlights on. I'm driving the same route to and from work each day at near enough the same time so the battery should be at the same state, near enough, at any point on the journey.

I'll experiment a bit more as there is no reason why either of those setting should impact the operation of istop..

santa

Post by santa »

I haven't experienced that.
I've reset the average consumption with trip A every time I fill it up and it's shows the cosumption display when I switch off the engine since new, so that would a bit over 2 years and 72kkm ago and my i-Stop has worked flawlessly.
The only time I've experinced the i-stop not working as expected was in fairly cold weather, with the headlights on (as You experinced yourself) but I put that down to the cold weather combined with a few short trips, which may have strained the battery a bit (so I think it actually did what it was suppose to).
I didn't change any of the mentioned settings and it has only happen a few times since new.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Probably a coincidence

I will play with various settings and monitor over the next week.

Odd how even after 30 mile motorway run it still won’t activite (ready) unless I switch the lights off...
santa

Post by santa »

That is a bit odd.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Greenman, in the 'problem or no problem' topic, you'll recall that mum@mazda had the same issue with a load on the battery causing i-stop not to function reliably even after a 400 mile round trip, and it was cured by the dealer doing a long, slow charge of the battery.

You may be able to avoid a trip to the dealer by getting a suitable slow charger and putting the battery on charge. Check the electrolyte level in the battery (if not a sealed maintenance free type) and see page 6-38 of the owner's manual for charging info. I think other members have used CTEK chargers.

P.S: Maybe take out those interior LED bulbs you fitted and replace with the originals or a different set :?:
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

Just an update to this. I-stop has not worked again since late November. It was deep charged in aug or sept, and did operate afterwards for a couple of months. It is booked in for a new battery early Feb. Not holding my breath for it to be a long term fix. Just getting my money's worth before the warranty runs out in august. I either have a failure on a component, or it's just a worthless gimmick. We have discussed this at length elsewhere, but I would be very interested in people's experience with i-stop and getting some real world data, so will start a i-stop thread, and see what others are experiencing. Please contribute.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather Aug 2015
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

jtonline wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:32 pm
P.S: Maybe take out those interior LED bulbs you fitted and replace with the originals or a different set :?:
My next test is to switch off the interior lights to see if is those LEDs causing a drain 😀

I’m struggling to find any consistency in the operation / non-operation of the istop

It used to work regularly until about 4 weeks ago. That said, I’m suprised the miles saved is less than 50 after 20k miles. I thought that the figure displayed was for that tank, or at least since a reset, but having rest everything recently, the total saving is unchanged....