Paint issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Habu

Post by Habu »

My wife has a new CX-3 in the lovely Dynamic Blue Mica. Today whilst waxing the paint (straight after washing) I noticed 2 marks in the paint on the bonnet. They cannot be felt and, from certain angles, cannot be seen but they are definitely there. Each is about 2” long. They are almost like a shadow under the paint but I’ve not noticed them until today.

Any ideas? I can try and post up a photo later.
Sport Nav in Dynamic Blue Mica / Petrol Manual / Stone Leather / Safety Pack
CX-30 GT Sport Tech auto in Soul Red from January 2020.

1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Hi Habu

A good idea to take some photos clearly showing the marks. I would then send them to your dealer with a description as you've mentioned or take the car into your dealer for a look, depending how far away they are.
SINCE FEB 2018 I NO LONGER OWN VEHICLE
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎
Habu

Post by Habu »

Here you go...
ImageUntitled by Peter, on Flickr
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Pics not showing Habu
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Habu....you pics have come through to my device, they are as you say quite large areas, if you are sure they are under the clear coat and not staining on top, you have no option but to visit your dealer who will I am sure arrange for their bodyshop to sort the problem for you.
Let us know how you get on, good luck.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
Habu

Post by Habu »

Hi, not sure why pics have gone. Paint is super smooth and unblemished in the areas. My local dealer has been sent the pics and their bodyshop will look into it on Tuesday. I know what DaveG means as it looks almost like a stain on top but I can't feel anything. I even tried a bit of clay bar and Meguiar's Quik (sic) Detailer but this made no difference. I'll see what the bodyshop makes of it and report back.

Cheers

Peter
Habu

Post by Habu »

Pics back...
Habu

Post by Habu »

Wife has been to dealer and their onsite body shop and all now cured! Body shop knew straightaway what the issue was going to be before even fully clocking the paintwork. It affects quite a few Mazdas (not sure whether it's just a CX-3 issue) and it's not just a blue mica finish either. Other colours have been afflicted with the same strange issue as seen on my wife's bonnet.

So, what is it, I hear you all cry?

Well, during the painting process static has caused some of the mica particles (the shiny bits) to not lay evenly causing the strange dull bit in the paint finish. I'm convinced we didn't have it when we collected the car as I'm a bit OCD with cars.

The cure?

A heat gun on the paint sorted out the paint finish and all shiny and uniform again. You really want to know what you're doing with a heat gun as you can cause lots of damage to paint surfaces.

So, there you have it. It was an issue within the paint (under the lacquer) and was to do with particles under static laying down in clumps rather than an even distribution. As to why it occurred a couple of weeks into ownership I'll never know. Time to warm up the wife's GHD hair dryer. :)

Edit: I should thanks SG Petch, Darlington for quickly dealing with the issue. Just hope it stays away.
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

Glad you got it sorted so promptly Habu 👍. A dealership that knows what it's doing by the sounds of it.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Good result Habu, worth remembering.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019