Traffic sign recognition (TSR)

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
kzg1969

Post by kzg1969 »

does it not use a forward facing camera?

I have this on my other car and it is useful when travelling through unfamiliar outer city areas / roadworks. But didnt bother on this car
2018 Eternal Blue 2.0 Sport Nav Auto

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

kzg1969 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:50 pm does it not use a forward facing camera?..

Yes, FSC stands for Forward Sensing Camera (in the unit on the windscreen that's behind the rear view mirror). I've edited my last post because I had said that it used map data and then resorted to FSC, whereas it's actually the other way around.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
switchback

Post by switchback »

I have an issue with mine. If the speed sign is obscured by trees or just not recognised by the camera it takes about a quarter of a mile before the sat nav realises and changes the HUD to the correct sign. I've got the excess speed warning bleeps set to +5 MPH and it's very annoying when they keep sounding because the system thinks I'm still in the previous speed limit. Even a portable sat nav unit changes instantly as did my Qashqai which used the same combination of camera and sat nav. Anyone else got this issue or a resolution?
2018 CX3+ Sport Nav 120 Petrol Manual. Machine Grey.
switchback

Post by switchback »

DaveG wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:29 pm That you JT, that explains it then if you have to pass a sign for it to work the no entry will never show, well hopefully not :lol:
I had mine come up today as the sign(no entry) was for a side road but angled towards the main road. When I went into a 20MPH zone the display was the usual large "20" but it also had the words "20 zone" displayed under it just as it was written on the sign.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

switchback wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:59 pm I have an issue with mine. If the speed sign is obscured by trees or just not recognised by the camera it takes about a quarter of a mile before the sat nav realises and changes the HUD to the correct sign. I've got the excess speed warning bleeps set to +5 MPH and it's very annoying when they keep sounding because the system thinks I'm still in the previous speed limit. Even a portable sat nav unit changes instantly as did my Qashqai which used the same combination of camera and sat nav. Anyone else got this issue or a resolution?
I haven't got TSR so I can't tell you if that's normal behaviour for the CX-3. However, it would be worth checking what version of OS is installed on your MZD Connect, [Select Settings on home screen, then choose System tab, then About] because Mazda have documented that some versions prior to 59.00.545A exhibited problems with displaying speed limits on narrow roads, and TSR did not alert at the correct speed limit alert setting (e.g. it may alert at +6 for a +10 setting) amongst other things. A Mazda authorised garage can upgrade it under warranty if you book it in. It takes about 45 mins to upgrade.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

switchback wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:59 pm I have an issue with mine. If the speed sign is obscured by trees or just not recognised by the camera it takes about a quarter of a mile before the sat nav realises and changes the HUD to the correct sign. I've got the excess speed warning bleeps set to +5 MPH and it's very annoying when they keep sounding because the system thinks I'm still in the previous speed limit. Even a portable sat nav unit changes instantly as did my Qashqai which used the same combination of camera and sat nav. Anyone else got this issue or a resolution?
Mines the same, annoying isn't it.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
switchback

Post by switchback »

jtonline wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:35 pm
I haven't got TSR so I can't tell you if that's normal behaviour for the CX-3. However, it would be worth checking what version of OS is installed on your MZD Connect, [Select Settings on home screen, then choose System tab, then About] because Mazda have documented that some versions prior to 59.00.545A exhibited problems with displaying speed limits on narrow roads, and TSR did not alert at the correct speed limit alert setting (e.g. it may alert at +6 for a +10 setting) amongst other things. A Mazda authorised garage can upgrade it under warranty if you book it in. It takes about 45 mins to upgrade.
Thanks very much. looks like I've got 59.00.544 EU N so it looks like it needs an update even though the car is brand new. I'll have a word with the dealer to get the update done.
SoonerV8

Post by SoonerV8 »

Mine is the same, always defers to the mapping data and completely ignores the road signs, whatever speed you are doing.
Particularly when a forty has been reduced and you miss the sign, and 30's often haven't got repeat reminders. I've never seen any other signs displayed other than speed limits.
Petrol Sport Nav AWD 2018 UK Midlands.
switchback

Post by switchback »

SoonerV8 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:20 pm Mine is the same, always defers to the mapping data and completely ignores the road signs, whatever speed you are doing.
Mine only defers to mapping data if the camera misses the sign, perhaps due to overgrown trees and bushes obscuring the sign but sometimes even if the sign is completely clear. When it defers to mapping data it is some distance into the new zone before it changes rather than at or very close to the sign. I suspect it is set to do this at +200 yards where the camera would normally expect to see a repeater sign if there is one. I can't find a way of disabling the camera without turning the whole speed warning system/display off at the same time.
SoonerV8

Post by SoonerV8 »

Just to prove the point, seemingly, I drove through a village with clearly marked, large variety, speed limit signs this morning, but presumably there were no speed limit details on the mapping. There was no speed limit display, at all, just blank, on the HUD. It didn't pick up the national speed limit sign on the way out either.
Petrol Sport Nav AWD 2018 UK Midlands.