Auto Gearbox Fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
BrunswickGreen

Post by BrunswickGreen »

Positive result, seems common sense prevailed.

anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Excellent news Bill.

Like Gus I would love to know what is happening with the old box. I've heard from the US forum that yours is not unique so are we sitting on ticking bombs?

The main thing is that you are sorted.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Glad you got a result you are happy with in the end.

I've had contact from an Australian reader who tells me they had to have the box replaced too.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Thanks All.
I also spoke to Mazda C.C. today and he informed me that they were sending a new complete Gearbox to the dealers for my CX-3 and it will take two weeks to arrive. I don't think the dealer will get to know what the fault is, as the box will be returned back to Mazda for inspection. Might not be the box at all, it could be the fluid flywheel attached to the engine, I think they will change it at the same time as the box.
I hope lightning doesn't strike in the same place twice and this one will be ok :shock: I cant be that unlucky can I :(
Bill
Sport Nav Diesel AWD Automatic
Manxy1

Post by Manxy1 »

Hi Bill, I've been very quiet on this forum of late. I'm waiting for our CX-3 Sports Nav 2WD Automatic to be delivered. It's a factory order. My expected delivery date is beginning of November.

I've been following this particular thread with interest as I've also ordered an automatic CX-3. I'm sick to the pit of my stomach that I've bought a pup of a car (going on your experience). The ordeal you've encountered with Mazda & the dealer is horrific. I've never owned a Mazda before & am now anxious that the same will happen to us. I know the fault could be a one off but I'm not convinced!
Anyhow please keep us informed as there are lots of us who've chosen automatic transmissions. We are very interested to see how this sorry saga pans out.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

I have no doubt that there is a weak spot in these gearboxes or even the torque converter. It's a complex design with internal "high and low" clutches too. As I have heard of it on the US forum where the volumes are much higher it does make me wonder if we are sitting on ticking bombs. Maybe it takes a duff change where selecting reverse when not quite stopped is enough to break something, I don't know.

Mazda won't sit on this indefinitely as the potential cost is too high. There will be a mod at some stage and newer owners where the car is still in transit may get it. On the other hand, they may still be working on it. We need to keep our ears to the ground and the moment anyone hears about a fix or a TSB, we need to feed back on here.

Let's hope it is a simple cure or even a poor batch of components that has been worked out of the system for the benefit of newer owners. I really like this auto box, it's as near to perfect as I've come across other than a Merc.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
Bill

Post by Bill »

Manxy1 wrote:Hi Bill, I've been very quiet on this forum of late. I'm waiting for our CX-3 Sports Nav 2WD Automatic to be delivered. It's a factory order. My expected delivery date is beginning of November.

I've been following this particular thread with interest as I've also ordered an automatic CX-3. I'm sick to the pit of my stomach that I've bought a pup of a car (going on your experience). The ordeal you've encountered with Mazda & the dealer is horrific. I've never owned a Mazda before & am now anxious that the same will happen to us. I know the fault could be a one off but I'm not convinced!
Anyhow please keep us informed as there are lots of us who've chosen automatic transmissions. We are very interested to see how this sorry saga pans out.
Hi Manxy
I wouldn't worry about that, just enjoy your new CX-3 The car is fantastic, I was just unlucky with the gearbox, but it has turned out all right in the end :D If I had any doubts about the car and the auto box I would not have requested another one exactly the same. So don't take the shine off your new car thinking the Auto box will fail just enjoy it :D
Bill
Sport Nav Diesel AWD Automatic