CX-3d turbo lag.

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Bobc

Post by Bobc »

Have only had my CX-3 for about 6 weeks, and still enjoy driving it - especially as the weather is improving a bit. Having come from the Rover Tourer with the 2 litre TD4 diesel, I was a little surprised at the turbo lag on acceleration. It is only slight, possibly half a second, until the revs reach about 1800 rpm, when the turbo takes over and the performance is great. I have got used to it now, and try to use a lower gear to keep the revs above 2000 if I want to press on a bit, but I am still surprised. Does anyone know if the very low compression ratio might be a cause? I also read that the update in May 2017 (just after mine was built) had a modification to reduce turbo lag. Is this true? If so, is it a software update that can be retrofitted.

Despite these comments, I do not regret buying the CX-3 in the slightest. So far, I have only seen a few others on the road, but one local one I see quite often, and we now wave to each other - just like having an unusual car in the old days !!

Thanks for this forum, it is very informative, and makes interesting reading.

Bob.
CX-3 Sport Nav, May 2017, 1.5d, manual , AWD, jet black pearl.

alanandlyn

Post by alanandlyn »

I thought the point of the Mazda engine design was that it didn't have a turbo?
CX-3 SportNav 2WD, Petrol Auto, Ceramic, Stone Leather :)
santa

Post by santa »

alanandlyn wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:19 pm I thought the point of the Mazda engine design was that it didn't have a turbo?
His CX-3 is a diesel ;)
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
alanandlyn

Post by alanandlyn »

santa wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:22 pm
alanandlyn wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:19 pm I thought the point of the Mazda engine design was that it didn't have a turbo?
His CX-3 is a diesel ;)
Oh, never had one. I assume all diesels have turbo's then.
CX-3 SportNav 2WD, Petrol Auto, Ceramic, Stone Leather :)
santa

Post by santa »

alanandlyn wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:06 pm
santa wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:22 pm
His CX-3 is a diesel ;)
Oh, never had one. I assume all diesels have turbo's then.
Pretty much, I can't think of a diesel without a turbo these days.
But You're correct that Mazda are using non-turbo petrol engines, in contrast to virtually everybody else.
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

And a great petrol engine it is too! ⛽
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White
santa

Post by santa »

tyrfelin wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:47 am And a great petrol engine it is too! ⛽
It is, I love mine 8-)
Bobc

Post by Bobc »

My CX-3 went in last week for the first year service, and I discussed with the dealer (Furrows of Shrewsbury) my concern about the 'turbo lag'. By then I had decided that it was not true turbo lag, but lack of boost at low speeds ( which happened twice on my Rover 75 when the mass air flow meter failed - a common fault on 75s). They agreed that it would be looked at (under warranty) while it was being serviced. It was discovered that it was not a faulty MAF, but a software problem, which took quite a while to fix because a software update takes more than an hour to carry out, and the first download failed. However, it is now fixed, and as well as a better response at low speeds, the average fuel consumption (diesel) on my typical mix of local and longer runs has increased from about 42 MPG to 48, so I am happy.
This information might be of use to other diesel CX-3 users. although I forgot to ask what the previous software version was, but was obviously what was installed in May 2017 when the car was first registered.

Bob.
CX-3 Sport Nav, May 2017, 1.5d, manual , AWD, jet black pearl.
CTolly

Post by CTolly »

Bob,

I had the same view as you when I got the CX-3 and coming from a CX-5 which had no noticeable turbo lag it was quite a surprise viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1227 I discussed it with the dealer last year and they said it was normal after taking it for a test drive.

My CX-3 has gone in for it's 1st year service today and they did mention something about a recall related to engine software. I will try and find out exactly what they have done when I pick it up, but hopefully this will be the same update as yours had.

The CX-3 2018 model I have as a courtesy car doesn't seem quite as bad but the lag is still there.

Chris
CX-3 sport nav 1.5d