Istop weirdness?

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

My wife says that she pulled over to drop a friend off - handbrake on, gears in neutral, foot off the clutch and Istop kicked in and stopped the engine (as it should do when various conditions are met) they chatted for a while before her friend left, but as her friend opened the passenger door the engine started again :o

Now this is the first vehicle we've had with Istop technology so it could be normal behaviour? but I've read the handbook and the only condition that seems to (perhaps) have any bearing on it is if the engine is off for 2mins under Istop conditions it will re-start (did I read it right?) and perhaps the door opening was pure coincidence? I know Istop has umpteen conditions - inside and outside temp... heater controls at certain settings... battery condition... etc etc, but this just seemed a bit strange, she said it wasn't the first time something like this had happened, but it may just be us having to get used to this new tec'..... Hell, it took us a while to get used to reversing lights and self cancelling indicators! :roll:
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

I suspect the door was a coincidence as mine restarts after 90-120seconds of being off.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

As Greenman said I think it was a coincidence, don't worry about it, just enjoy driving it.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Thanks guys... I also think it was coincidence - she loves the CX-3 so would probably put up with a few niggles anyway. 8-)
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

Not a niggle - engine cuts in when needed during i-stop. Probably someone will add a special scientific equation to show this such as:- power use to battery state equals length of i-stop duration!
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White
Peter55

Post by Peter55 »

AndyRen wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:56 pm My wife says that she pulled over to drop a friend off - handbrake on, gears in neutral, foot off the clutch and Istop kicked in and stopped the engine (as it should do when various conditions are met) they chatted for a while before her friend left, but as her friend opened the passenger door the engine started again :o
“Chatted for a while”
We are talking about 2 women here, if it wasn’t for istop it would probably have run out of fuel
Sport Nav Petrol Auto Dynamic Blue
Armrest
Front Sensors
AndyRen

Post by AndyRen »

Peter55 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:57 am “Chatted for a while”
We are talking about 2 women here, if it wasn’t for istop it would probably have run out of fuel
Ooooo, that's fighting talk in our house! :lol: .... Did I say it was two women?? :? :lol:
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Peter55 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:57 am
AndyRen wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:56 pm My wife says that she pulled over to drop a friend off - handbrake on, gears in neutral, foot off the clutch and Istop kicked in and stopped the engine (as it should do when various conditions are met) they chatted for a while before her friend left, but as her friend opened the passenger door the engine started again :o
“Chatted for a while”
..or the car would have drifted off into the sunset unnoticed.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

Now i think i have come up with a great new idea.

Could we fit a similar device to a womens mouth that causes them to stop talking after 2 minutes...could call it istop chattering. :D
AndyRen

Post by AndyRen »

MJC1216 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:45 am Now i think i have come up with a great new idea.

Could we fit a similar device to a womens mouth that causes them to stop talking after 2 minutes...could call it istop chattering. :D
Already on the market...
It's called chocolate. :lol: