High Engine Oil Level Warning

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Nick_B

Post by Nick_B »

I wonder if anyone can assist me with a concern/issue I have with my 2016 1.5 SkyActiv Sport Nav.

I have only owned the vehicle for 6 weeks and yesterday an orange spanner warning light came on. I looked up the problem in the owners manual and on the cars computer and it seems as though the car has a 'high engine oil level'. The oil level on the dipstick is about half an inch higher than the 'X'. It looks clean and black with no emulsified water residue. The exhausts look very clean and I am not aware of any excessive smoke and no oil leaks. I have not added any engine oil. The car has only done 13k and has full service history.

Any help/advice/reassuring words of support would be greatly appreciated.
2016 CX-3 1.5 SkyActiv Diesel Sport Nav (Manual) in Ceramic Metalic

Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Hi, have a look at this post, it might help

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1340&hilit=diesel+oil+level
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

The oil level creeping up to, and above, the 'X' mark on the dipstick is down to diesel diluting the oil. See this topic: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1340

You need to get your oil changed with the recommended specification and the oil data reset. It should be changed every 12,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

As already stated, diesel fuel in the oil - possibly due to an incomplete dpf regen. Do you do more short journeys than motorway miles? The dealer should really have asked you this before selling you a (modern dpf fitted) diesel if this the case.
Get back to your dealer asap!
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Nick_B

Post by Nick_B »

Thanks for your responses guys.

I have booked the car back in to have the oil replaced.

I think that an incomplete regen is probably the cause. I do a lot of short trips and especially so yesterday when the warning light came on. Would a series of incomplete regens have a cumulative effect? ie will it keep trying to regen and thus keep dumping the diesel in my engine oil until its successful? At the time that the warning light came on I was driving ULTRA careful as I was trying to get my MPG above 90 mpg and had free-wheeled out of gear for approx. 2 miles down a hill. (incidentally I got it to average 88mpg - which I was pleased with).....but then the warning light came on....so my joy was short-lived.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Nick_B wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm ... Would a series of incomplete regens have a cumulative effect? ie will it keep trying to regen and thus keep dumping the diesel in my engine oil ...
Yes.
Julian.
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

An incomplete regen should be highlighted by engine fan continuing when engine stopped, meaning you should jump back in and zip down the motorway for a few more miles.
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Nick_B

Post by Nick_B »

Many thanks for your advice guys, it's very much appreciated.

The VW Dealership where I bought the car a few weeks ago have kindly offered to carry out an oil change FOC on Friday and for me to monitor oil levels/warning lights etc.

I have read that the "Oil Data" needs resetting after each oil change. Please can anyone advise how this is done so that I can make sure this gets done by the garage?

From reading other posts, I see that "Anchorman" has a pdf which explains this.

Thanks once again.

Nick Brazier.
Last edited by Nick_B on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Julian.
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

Nick_B wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:47 am Many thanks for your advice guys, it's very much appreciated.

The VW Dealership where I bought the car a few weeks ago have kindly offered to carry out an oil change FOC on Friday and for me to monitor oil levels/warning lights etc.

I have read that the "Oil Data" needs resetting after each oil change. Please can anyone advise how this is done so that I can make sure this gets done by the garage?

From reading other posts, I see that "Anchorman" has a pdf which explains this. If anyone could help with this, my email address is

Thanks once again.

Nick Brazier.
I would remove your email address from your post.