Lane Departure Warning System settings

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
hsdejong

Post by hsdejong »

I own a new CX-3 now for one month and it took me weeks to read the owners manual (the extended one from the internet) and understand all of the settings and electronics inside the new car. In addition I have read several internet forums about the CX-3.
I think I now have a reasonable understanding of most of the workings and settings of the car. But some settings are not clear to me and the LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System) settings are one of them.

“The warning time in which the LDWS determines that the vehicle may be deviating from its lane can be changed to Early, Medium, Late or adaptive.”
I understand (if I’m correct) from other internet sources that this is a “distance” setting which alarms the driver when the wheel approaches the line, is at the line or has crossed the line on the road.
Adaptive seems to me a setting which let the LDWS learn from the driver’s behaviour.

“The sensitivity of the warning for the LDWS can be changed to: often, medium or rare.”
But what does the LDWS sensitivity setting mean?
Last edited by hsdejong on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Mazda CX-5 2023 Exclusive-Line (Black Comfort Pack) Petrol FWD Manual Soul Red Crystal Metallic

tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

Some early reviews when the CX3 first came complained about the warning being too sensitive and in the end they turned it off. Ours is set to medium and rumble and it does sometimes falsely warn even if it is on a shiny part of the road. But I'd rather have sensitive warnings in time than too late!! Also we have the speed warnings set to go off as soon as we break the limits and I'm sure that this has saved as from a ticket at least once in the last two months.
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White
hsdejong

Post by hsdejong »

"the warning being too sensitive"
But sensitive about what?

The sideways speed at which you seems to depart from the lane?
Or the contrast between the black (grey) road and the white (or yellow) line?

If you have "rare" as a setting, will the LDWS warns you only one out of ten times when you fall asleep when driving? ;-)
  • Mazda CX-5 2023 Exclusive-Line (Black Comfort Pack) Petrol FWD Manual Soul Red Crystal Metallic
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

Sensitive - reacting more quickly to what it sees rather than allowing a set time to react?? Maybe someone has a more accurate definition!
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Well the definition of sensitive is "quick to detect or respond to slight changes, signals, or influences". However like everything in life this definition has a variable set point. So I would suggest that you try out each setting and see what suits you. Simples!
Be happy that you have the options. :)
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
hsdejong

Post by hsdejong »

The choices are often, medium or rare. Not quick, medium or slow...
Perhaps the setting you can choose is not defined by the cause but defined by the result?
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

hsdejong wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:11 pm The choices are often, medium or rare. Not quick, medium or slow...
Perhaps the setting you can choose is not defined by the cause but defined by the result?
Wow, that sounds very philosophical, I'll have a pint of what you are drinking. :lol:
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

It's a mystery to me too hsdejong.
I drive around most of the time with LDWS off (although the orange 'off' warning light in the instrument panel then niggles me) because it frequently false alarms otherwise.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

hsdejong wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:25 pm "the warning being too sensitive"
But sensitive about what?
How about choosing a road you know where the LDWS goes off at a particular time/place and re-tracing your route with the LDWS on different setting - then you'll be able to tell us exactly what the system is "sensitive" to??? ;)
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
hsdejong

Post by hsdejong »

AndyRen wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:20 pm How about choosing a road you know where the LDWS goes off at a particular time/place and re-tracing your route with the LDWS on different setting - then you'll be able to tell us exactly what the system is "sensitive" to??? ;)
The LDWS in my car is not alerting me on a particular time/place along a road. Until now it did not give false alarms. Actually it is performing as it should. When LDWS is alerting me I am indeed crossing or almost crossing a line, most of the time when I cut a bend a little.

It's difficult to experiment with different LDWS settings in a live situation on a motorway with traffic to discover what parameter is actually changed in the system to give more or less alarms.