Engine Shut Down

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Derbro

Post by Derbro »

<t>Just had an embarrassing experience at the Toll Booth of the Tyne Tunnel. Had to be pushed clear of the traffic lanes because the entire ignition system had shut down. Only warning light showing was the Key Warning Light.
Toll booth staff told me it is a common problem with BMW's and I should press the re-set button for the keyless ignition. Only problem is there is no re-set button, or if there is I don't know where it is. Seemingly BMW's do have one and the booth staff knew exactly where it is. Unfortunately I was the first Mazda they had dealt with.
The reason this problem happened is because I had to exit my vehicle to retrieve a coin from the toll machine because I could not reach the rejected coin tray. This action triggers the toll booth security system that activates a radio alarm signal, if your car keyless system is on the same radio frequency it is effected and shuts down. Until now they were aware that the only car manufacturer that uses the same frequency is BMW.
There is no information in the users guide book on how to re-set the ignition so it was only by trial and error that I was able to get systems up and running again and on my way.
Does anyone know the correct way to re-set the ignition? It may be useful to anyone that uses the Tyne Tunnel. Of course the way to avoid this happening to you is don't get out of your car at the toll booth.
Ceramic Metalic Sports Nav 2litre petrol Auto 2017

AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Bloomin 'eck, bit of a worry! Nothing to do with holding the key next to the 'start' button perhaps - Wild Guess though!
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Derbro

Post by Derbro »

Hi Andy,
No, that is not what I did to re-set the ignition. Key in my pocket all the time.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Andy is right. In the event of a strong electrical field, hold the key right next to the start button.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

Anchorman, don't you need sleep?😌
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
alanandlyn

Post by alanandlyn »

Derbro wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:34 pm <t>Just had an embarrassing experience at the Toll Booth of the Tyne Tunnel. Had to be pushed clear of the traffic lanes because the entire ignition system had shut down. Only warning light showing was the Key Warning Light.

Does anyone know the correct way to re-set the ignition? It may be useful to anyone that uses the Tyne Tunnel. Of course the way to avoid this happening to you is don't get out of your car at the toll booth.
In my manual it's all in the section "Starting the Engine" from page 4-5, especially page 4-7.

Mind you, I wouldn't remember it all in the heat of the moment and don't normally have the manually with me (stupid really).
CX-3 SportNav 2WD, Petrol Auto, Ceramic, Stone Leather :)
Derbro

Post by Derbro »

At last found it in the manual. Press and hold the start button long enough for it to sort itself out then foot on the brake to start engine. This is what I did at the time although was not the first thing that came to mind.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

You'll remember it next time though 👍😃
All's well that ends etc...
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...