What's your tyre pressures.

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

Mazda manufactures exceptional vehicles !
Why would they in creation install inferior tires as standard ?
When you stick 50 profile tires on an 18 " wheel they have to be sure of traction

Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

I never can remember my pressures--I just put 34 in--all round--seems fine
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Call me old fashioned, but I use the tyre pressure chart that Mazda stuck on the driver's side door frame.
Going much over or under the recommended, and you run the risk of abnormal tread wear and reduced grip. Over inflation wears the middle part of the tyre and under inflation wears the outside edges.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

DAVEG
TIRE PRESSURE AND ROAD TEMPRETURE.

This is all about where you live and where you drive.
What tire pressure suits my car and may not suite those who live in colder climates.
You say 36 front and 33 rear that is for your Bournmouth UK.
You are like me , that is, we are very concerned to inflate our tires to correct tire pressure.

I have been experimenting with tire pressure for a while now, as I am running 215 X 50 X 18 . tires.

Let me say that I have to date not owned a vehicle with 50 profile tires and big wheels, for me this is a new game in town.

To day with no passengers ,I drove a total of 12 kg into the city return,my tires were inflated at 38 all round the ride was terrible and so are our roads.

I also have to come to grips that my CX 3 does not weigh the same as my battle tank a jeep Partiot with 60 prifile tires.

Tempreture has an effect on tire pressure.

Out side here today was 78 F the roads must have been say 88 F .
At night there is a 15 F degree drop in out side tempreture .
What if it rains, that changes tempreture also.
On ocasion I have seen steam coming from our roads.

In the morning I am going to reduce my tire pressure down to 34 front and 31 rear and go for a drive,
I also will check my tire pressure on a weekly basis .

Somers CX3 Soul red Auto

THE ABOVE HAS BEEN AMENDED 11 Nov/18 @5.03 PM Atlantic

image.png

Last edited by SOMERS on Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
santa

Post by santa »

jtonline wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:21 pm Call me old fashioned, but I use the tyre pressure chart that Mazda stuck on the driver's side door frame.
Going much over or under the recommended, and you run the risk of abnormal tread wear and reduced grip. Over inflation wears the middle part of the tyre and under inflation wears the outside edges.
Me too, I'm pretty sure the Mazda engineers knows more about this than I do.
Same thing with service intervals and oil changes, I just follow the recommendations from Mazda.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

DaveG

I guess you know this is all about compremise !

The roads here are very similar to those I found in Norway.

Last evening , I changed the CX3 tire air pressure down from 38 PSI all round to 34 PSI front and 32 PSI rear ,took the car for a drive and found that the tire were bouncing on the road, that led me to beleive that the tires did not have 100% grip on the road, even worst if you hit a bad stretch in the road .

I could also hear the difference from before , also the suspension apeared to sound and feel more active.

This morning, I re inflated the cold tires up to 36 PSI front and 34 PSI Rear, I also marked the tire treads at the valves to determine tread wear , I took the car out again over the same route parts of which were recently re paved , I found the ride although not perfect, was much improved, there is still tire noise but some what reduced, and so was the mileage .

After all the CX3 is a Sport u.v. The thing is meant to go fast round corners ! and we got' em.

Somers ~ Soul red***** 2018 ******* CX 3 ~ Auto ~ 215 x 18 x 50 tires 18 " Rims
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

Jtonline

Hats off to you Sir you are absolutely correct.
If we go by the book for every thing else ,then ,why should we not take their advice on tire pressure.
The debate on tire pressure has had a posative outcome as many have contributed ,we have all learned alot, it is all good .

Somers CX3 Soul red Petrol Auto
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I know I an over complicating this tyre pressure thing, but the door sticker gives the pressure for up to 3 people, or five people with luggage (full load) the people weighing 75 kg. I wish there was advice for intermediate pressures such as up to 4 people and luggage.
The rear pressure for 3 people is 30psi......and 5 with luggage 48psi, a huge difference, so what would it require for say the four people on a long motorway drive.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
Mazdaman72

Post by Mazdaman72 »

I am interested in this topic and wondering if better gas shock absorbers would make any difference or is it just the tyres because it seems to make no difference if its 16inch or 18 inch wheels.
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

Mazdaman72 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:55 am I am interested in this topic and wondering if better gas shock absorbers would make any difference or is it just the tyres because it seems to make no difference if its 16inch or 18 inch wheels.
Some years ago i decided to change out the shocks on my VW Scirroco for some exotic gas filled Bielstine shocks which turned out to be a disaster the ride was not as good as the original factory shocks may be the aftermarket shocks were beyond shelf life.

( ie they died in bed. )

I would put you trust in Mazda as they have more to loose than all of us put together.

Recently I have been reviewing many manufactures tires virtualy all of them have road noise ,
many manufactures do not make tire to suite our vehicles .
note :high profile increases unsprung weight.

It is important to keeo the CX3 weight down.

This tire choice is an exercise in swings and roundabouts one thing for sure is i will never by discount tires and my i surgest that the date on the side wall week / year be noted.

Warning : Some dealers will grind off the dates with a dremel grinder.

Somers CX3 soul red Auto