Security key light

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Ian

Post by Ian »

If a passenger gets out and shuts the door while engine running or on i stop, the security key light flashes red and there is a warning beep. The light continues to flash until I switch off engine and restart. Mazda workshop say no fault shows on diagnostic. Any ideas?

Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

Ian wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:42 am If a passenger gets out and shuts the door while engine running or on i stop, the security key light flashes red and there is a warning beep. The light continues to flash until I switch off engine and restart. Mazda workshop say no fault shows on diagnostic. Any ideas?
Where is your key when this is happening and does your wife carry the spare key in her handbag and when she gets out this may confuse the security system ???
Ian

Post by Ian »

My key will be in the centre console. The spare key is left in the house
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

What happens if the passenger gets back in?
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi. The beep and flashing light kick in whenever door is closed. If passenger gets in again, it beeps again and continues flashing. I should say its intermittent. Maybe previous post has a point. I'll try keeping keys away from front of console in case theres some interference issue. Thanks for taking an interest.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

From the online manual -
The engine may not start if the key is placed in the following areas:

Around the instrument panel

In the storage compartments such as the glove compartment.

It does say *may* so perhaps centre console is not a good idea to put the key and possibly cause problems???? :?
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Andy Ren, thanks for the reply. Interestingly, I just went out, put my keys at the rear of the console, and got my wife to leave the car twice. Neither time did the beep or flashing light happen. We may be onto something, although this didn't happen for the first year or so that I owned the car, so something isn't quite right. It's no biggie, as it doesn't interfere with running or starting. Just annoying. Thanks again
Gus

Post by Gus »

Unless the batteries are beginning to age so the range is not so good?
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
CX-5, Sport Nav+, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Sep 2018.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi Gus, the workshop changed the battery, but it made no difference, so probably not that. Thanks though.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Just to close the thread, I've now experimented with having my key at the front of the console, under the radio, and the beeping and flashing key light happen when the passenger door is closed. With the key away from the console, it doesn't happen. At least I know what not to do. Thanks for all replies.