Bouncy ride

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Kimm

Post by Kimm »

It’s booked in now for beginning of October and I’ve asked them to check out the back end. I’ve done a fair bit of research over the last week and found that most reviews are saying that it’s bouncy. I drove the Mazda 3 for 13 years prior to this and there was no bounce with that so I’m now assuming that it is because it’s the Sport. I didn’t particularly want a sports model I just wanted a small SUV with all wheel drive. I considered changing to the Toyota CH-R but just read that it has unnecessary bounce too. I’m guessing I’m either going to have to go for a full sized 4x4 or just back to a normal front wheel drive hatchback. ☹️
I’ll report back after my service but I feel quite sure now that it’s normal for that model 😪
CX-3 Sports Nav AWD

mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

I have never experienced a bouncy ride, infact i would consider it to be quite firm, strange that other reviews describe it as such. Would definitely be looking at the shocks, didn't somebody else have early failure on here?
CX-3, Sport Nav, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather Aug 2015
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

I'm wondering if one persons 'bouncy' is another persons 'harsh' and we're actually talking about the same thing possibly?
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

Possibly, i would consider "bouncy" as poor or uncontrolled prolonged movement of the car after contact with a pot hole, or speed bump. The body of the car continues to move up and down for a period after the bump, as opposed to the suspension absorbing the bump but not passing it on to the car. It might feel that you are driving along an undulating road when it is actually flat.

Harsh ride i would describe as overly firm suspension. When you hit a pot hole, it sends a crash/shudder through the body of the car, and you feel every bump, because the suspension does not absorb the movement. But in this case, the car does not continue to move up and down after you have passed the bump.

I have found the cx3 to be more towards the latter, but i prefer this because of the better handling, and you get a bit more feedback.

So, which is it?
CX-3, Sport Nav, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather Aug 2015
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Exactly mum@.
Kimm

Post by Kimm »

Well my car has just been serviced and it was all down to the tyres being under pressure rather that too high. All put right now and the horrendous bounce is no more.
Now I’m not going to lie to you guys, I did not check the pressure purely because I understood that a drop in tyre pressure would have the tyre pressure monitor telling me so but no apparently that only comes into play if there is a rapid drop in pressure not a gradual one and there was me thinking I’d got away from having to do that job with this new car. You live and learn as they say.
CX-3 Sports Nav AWD
AndyRen

Post by AndyRen »

Well, that's a great result Kimm! :D

I too assumed that a slow drop in tyre pressure would trigger the sensors (perhaps we should read the manual eh?! :lol: ).
hsdejong

Post by hsdejong »

Actually there is no measuring of the tyre pressure at all.
The Tyre Pressure Monitoring System measures the average difference in the rotational speed of all four wheels with the ABS wheel speed sensors.
If there is a difference between the wheels it's because the diameter of one or more of the tyres is different from the others, which is caused by a different pressure (deflation).
  • Mazda CX-5 2023 Exclusive-Line (Black Comfort Pack) Petrol FWD Manual Soul Red Crystal Metallic
ptirving

Post by ptirving »

Recently added a space saver spare plus bits. Might just be me but ride seems more settled. Before anyone leaps on it, in the boot , not an axle....
Was GT Sport 2.0 Petrol Auto Meteor Grey 39mpg round the doors 46mpg on a run
Now 2019 Mazda 3 2.0 petrol auto Meteor Grey
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Well I found the same thing with my CX3 if I’m honest. The suspension was way too soft for my liking and 4 up, the suspension did wallow about. I could also too easily bottom the suspension on speed bumps. However, you have to remember that this has all the running gear of a Mazda 2 and you can expect that Fiesta sized car to behave in a similar way.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD