Electric handbrake not releasing.

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
switchback

Post by switchback »

I know there's not many out there yet but mines just started playing up. Sometimes the electric handbrake fails to release automatically when you pull away and I have to manually release it with the button. I'll have a word with the dealer next week but thought I'd post up in case someone else had the problem as well.
2018 CX3+ Sport Nav 120 Petrol Manual. Machine Grey.

Runnerbean

Post by Runnerbean »

It appears we have the same issue. I was never confident it was a reliable system but the car is only a month old. Just wondering now if you got any advice from the garage before we take the same route.
CX3 - Sport Nav + - Petrol - Manual - 2wd - Soul Red Crystal - 2018
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

The first few days of ownership mine automatically released but now it doesn't, so looks like I have the same problem
2019 CX-3, 2.0 Sport Nav+, Soul Red, Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Petrol, Manual.
switchback

Post by switchback »

I've not had a chance to get to the dealer yet but should be able to see them this week. Sometimes it is fine if you're just driving and stopping but it seems worse after manoeuvring or leaving the car and then restarting a journey.
switchback

Post by switchback »

Can I ask if you've got Hill Launch Assist? It's in the handbook but I can't get it to work and I can't find the symbol that that would normally illuminate on the dash if you press the brake pedal when on a slope. The Auto-hold button works well now I've got used to it and trust it...............
switchback

Post by switchback »

I've just tested the HLA and it works fine. With my previous cars a symbol would appear on the dash when the HLA was activated by depressing the brake pedal so you knew you were on a steep enough slope for it to work. There is no activation symbol on the CX3 and you just have to chance it :( .
switchback

Post by switchback »

I've just got back from the dealer and it appears to be driver error that prevents the hand brake from auto-releasing. The drivers seat belt must be engaged for the auto release to work. Because I've been doing a lot of off-road driving and shunting a trailer around I hadn't been wearing my seat belt. The dealer at first couldn't replicate the fault from my description. I then left the garage and went to Tesco and reverse parked badly so got back in the car to straighten it up without wearing my seat belt and the handbrake would not auto release. Went straight back to dealer after shopping and replicated "the fault" that happened at Tesco. Then put the seat belt on as advised and it worked fine. Many thanks the Wrights Mazda Beccles for sorting this for me. They also did the TSR update while I waited all without booking in for the work. Top quality service :D .

Edit: The doors must also be fully closed as well for auto release to work.
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

Nice to know you have sorted it and that you have owned up to it being pilot error. :lol:

I know the electric handbrake was an issue when first introduced on some cars VW etc but as we now have no choice if we buy the new model i am glad it works as it should.
switchback

Post by switchback »

On a similar subject, the Auto-Hold facility is activated by the ABS system which is something I hadn't thought of.