Steering Rack

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
liamgt4

Post by liamgt4 »

Hi All,

Someone has kindly hit our car leaving broken steering.

Been advised we need a new steering rack and the cost of the works may write off the car.

Does anyone have a work shop guide for changing out the steering rack? As I would be willing to attempt the work myself.

Any info that could help would be great.

Thanks in advance

Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I can't help with your question, but that is really bad news. It is hard to believe that a damaged steering rack can be more costly to replace than the car. I think I would question that decision.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

Who told you that your car might be a write-off? Your Insurers?
Even the earliest CX-3 is only three years old, and is surely worth more than the cost of replacing the steering rack.
There must be more to your problem than this.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
liamgt4

Post by liamgt4 »

Was the insurance company. Waiting to get my hands on the engineers report but on the phone was advised that the steering rack alone was £4k
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

4k!? EBay they are less than £200 used so I can't imagine they'd be as much as 4k new.
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

liamgt4 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:08 pm Was the insurance company. Waiting to get my hands on the engineers report but on the phone was advised that the steering rack alone was £4k
Those must be UK inflated prices! Check out this on a USA site that sells genuine Mazda parts :-

A] Steering column assembly - about $1,570 for the whole lot. I would doubt if you'd need the most expensive part, the steering column assembly itself which is $1,434 of that total. Would have thought in a crash it would be the intermediate shaft at about $122 that might break and need replacing.

https://www.mazdanyparts.com/auto-parts ... embly-scat

B] Steering gear and linkage - most likely to be the other parts needed. Total is only about $370 for all the stuff shown in the lower picture, but it doesn't look like that includes the rack itself as it doesn't seem to be listed.

https://www.mazdanyparts.com/auto-parts ... nkage-scat
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016