sign recognition

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
SoonerV8

Post by SoonerV8 »

Hello all,
During my car's recall for DC DC work I mentioned the seeming inability for the forward camera to actually read road signs, witnessed when the mapping information is out of date, or non existent, and we drive past new speed limit signs without a hint of recognition.
The dealer explanation was that for it to "work" you have to be using the Sa Nav! Is this correct?
Also mentioned was the non functioning automatic headlamp dipping, I was told this was now set, but still just doesn't work even when Range Rovers demonstrate the power of their lights by blinding me!!
Petrol Sport Nav AWD 2018 UK Midlands.

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I haven't got TSR, but there's nothing in the Owner's Manual to suggest that you have to be using the Sat Nav, only that the SD Card is installed.

It won't work if there's a malfunction in the Forward Sensing Camera, and obviously it doesn't work if the Active Display is set to non-display or TSR is set to Off.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

Auto Headlamp dipping - This may be a stupid question but have you got the rotary headlight switch set to auto and the auto highbeam indicator lit on the dashboard?
Another thought - does the auto headlamp dipping function and TSR use the same camera /sensor? This may imply a hardware/sensor failure.
Last edited by HouseSpider on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Good point HouseSpider they probably do use the same camera for both.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
switchback

Post by switchback »

I had the TSR update done yesterday and I think it's better now. I tested it today and it works perfectly when reading the marked speed limit signs(including new or temporary ones) but it will not recognise the national speed limit sign (diagonal stripe).

The sat nav does not have to be on for this function to work.
2018 CX3+ Sport Nav 120 Petrol Manual. Machine Grey.
SoonerV8

Post by SoonerV8 »

Thanks for the observations. Switches set for the headlamp dip, but I have to agree that, and the road sign recognition, seem to be part of the same camera issue.
I will pursue it with the dealer again!!
Petrol Sport Nav AWD 2018 UK Midlands.
switchback

Post by switchback »

switchback wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:12 pm I tested it today and it works perfectly when reading the marked speed limit signs(including new or temporary ones) but it will not recognise the national speed limit sign (diagonal stripe).
Has anyone else got this issue?
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

switchback wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:23 pm
switchback wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:12 pm I tested it today and it works perfectly when reading the marked speed limit signs(including new or temporary ones) but it will not recognise the national speed limit sign (diagonal stripe).
Has anyone else got this issue?
Most BMW drivers have the same issue. They can't recognise any signs. :lol:
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

This is normal for the national speed limit sign (diagonal strike). The problem is that the sign can mean 60mph for a single carriageway road or 70mph for a dual carriageway road. The recognition system does not know what the road ahead is - only the sign which is why it doesn't change until some time later when the latest info is picked up by the Sat Nav.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
switchback

Post by switchback »

It should use the mapping data to determine the national speed limit. It worked well on my Qashqai.