Condensation on windscreen

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

DaveG wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:24 pm Does anyone else have a problem with condensation on the inside of the windscreen when parked overnight now the weather is colder.
My CX3 seems a lot worse than previouse cars I have owned. I have checked for obviouse leaks in the car, and the aircon is permantly on.
DaveG
I do apolagise for not completing my post to you regarding rear window and driver side miror defogging.

This relates to the 15 minutes automatic cut off back window and driver side miror defogger system ,Ok !

If the ambient tempreture is cold the device will not shut off automatically in 15 minutes ,you have to remember to do that task personaly ,also the engine must be running for that feature to function. I am also thinking that the center dial switch is iluminated for your convienience.

Dave G One other point sir, I like to test all functions of a car before needed.

There is a hot potato or an over ripe banana in one of my recent posts.

See NOTE page 4 -69

Somers 2018: CX3 SoulRed : Auto

Gordongilchrist

Post by Gordongilchrist »

I agree completely about how humid air can result in condensation on the colder surfaces when dew point is reached. Cure is improve ventilation and or raise temperatures of ambient air or surfaces. The only real option is to ventilate humid air before stopping. Turning AC off 10 mins before is recommended. I would also advocate opening windows a bit as well.

I find the cx3 mists up very easily even when driving so believe the cabin is very air tight. Ie the humid air can not escape from cabin wery well. which explain part of your problem. Problem is in winter the external air even is close to 100% relative humidity and just ready to condense as soon as temperatures drop
2017 Mazda CX-3 sport nav 2WD Automatic 120 petrol in white :)
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Gordongilchrist wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:43 pm I agree completely about how humid air can result in condensation on the colder surfaces when dew point is reached. Cure is improve ventilation and or raise temperatures of ambient air or surfaces. The only real option is to ventilate humid air before stopping. Turning AC off 10 mins before is recommended. I would also advocate opening windows a bit as well.

I find the cx3 mists up very easily even when driving so believe the cabin is very air tight. Ie the humid air can not escape from cabin wery well. which explain part of your problem. Problem is in winter the external air even is close to 100% relative humidity and just ready to condense as soon as temperatures drop
Thank you for your responce will try as you suggested, plus a little fix of my own although a little tricky, stopping the wife from breathing for ten minuets before we stop :lol:
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

DaveG wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:02 pm
Gordongilchrist wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:43 pm I agree completely about how humid air can result in condensation on the colder surfaces when dew point is reached. Cure is improve ventilation and or raise temperatures of ambient air or surfaces. The only real option is to ventilate humid air before stopping. Turning AC off 10 mins before is recommended. I would also advocate opening windows a bit as well.

Thank you for your responce will try as you suggested, plus a little fix of my own although a little tricky, stopping the wife from breathing for ten minuets before we stop :lol:
Let me know how you get on with that one, if you manage to get a phone in jail. :lol:
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Beezageoff

Post by Beezageoff »

Just got my new car and the first thing I noticed was how quickly condensation appears on the inside of the windscreen at night. The weather hasn't been particularly cold either. Never had that problem on my old Mazda 6! It clears fairly quickly once the blower is on though.
CX3 30/10/2018 Sat Nav+ 2litre Petrol Manual
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

Condensation does not only accumulate on window glass it accumulates on all internal metal panels of a car where you can not see.
During the early days of wind up windows and cloth seats we had no airconditioning however we did have heating which we used to our advantage to dry out our cars.
There was a section of body work located between the lower leading edge of the front doors and the rear of the front wheel arch which on the Mazda CX 3 is more pronounced designed space to accomadate the Mazda exhaust manifold than most cars of the same size . As in the past and even today that particular area never dries out properly and is prone to rusting,mud flaps did help to direct some of water away.

To be continued

2018 Cx3 Soul red Auto
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

FRESH AIR
Before starting off it is always a good idea to fully open, if practical the front side windows,failing that partially open will do ,
(1) This is done to remove stagnent air and provide fresh air in the cabin.

(2 ) During the summer season if the vehicle is kept out side in a non shady area especially if you have a dark coloured vehicle it is good to vent the cabin as the roof gets hot on both sides.

( Time to considder a car cover ) I will do a post on car covers shortly.

(3) this will give the air conditioning system the time required to catch up. after which you may close the windows and run the airconditioner.

Hint : heavy rain get of the highway.

2018 CX3 Soul red Auto
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Close all air vents when you park up at night to minimise cold air into the cabin..
Gadgetman

Post by Gadgetman »

I have a 2017 CX3 and I have to say the winter issues are, fo me, its biggest downfall.

I leave the house before 6 each morning and don't get back to the car until about 7 in the evening. I find it mists up terribly inside when parked, takes an age to clear the front windscreen (sometimes I just end up using a squeegie inside) and the rear screen heater also takes way too long to clear the glass. Combine that with the fact that the side window seals don't clear the glass at all when you drop them makes the whole thing a pain when the weather is poor, much worse than two other manufacturer's cars in the household.

I've checked every inch for leaks and found nothing, aircon is on all the time and have tried every conceivable setting. It's poor as far as I'm concerned.
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

The problem seems to be that the CX-3 is a really efficiently sealed cabin. The only thing that I have found that helps is when parking up open all the doors and tailgate to let all the warm air escape. The inside is then as cold as the outside so the outside air does not contribute to misting the inside warm air as its all gone. Turn off the air-con to close the vents. I have found it just about solves the issue providing the temperature doesn't rise too much in the day which of course warms up the inside again.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.