iStop intermittent

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

What with the recent cold, damp ,wet weather -both my wife and i have noticed a slight reluctance in iStop coming into play and stopping the engine at traffic lights etc. Sometimes it does( and we know about neutral gear and other pre-requisites)-but sometimes it doesn't.
Have checked user guide in the manual which confirms to me that all seems well. I just wonder if it's just one of those things?
We do tend to do a few short'ish journeys of 4/5 miles there and the same back-but I would have thought that would be sufficient to warm everything up? Is it perhaps the ambient temperature which is to blame?
To be honest-I'm not losing sleep over it and might mention it to dealer on first service--for me--it's just about needing to know what others have experienced and is it perhaps just a Mazda foible ?...everything else working fine-no warning lights. Comments welcome.
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Difference between outside and inside temperature and/or battery below 80% charge are the common issues at this time of year.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

There are quite a few comments about istop in previous threads.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather Aug 2015
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

I suspect it is the cold weather which can mean the battery isn't keeping it's charge enough for iStop to work. This will be compounded if you tend to do many short journeys. Have you checked the Fuel Economy Monitor display via the Settings section? This will show if is is the Engine Temperature / Battery / Air Conditioning setting which is preventing iStop from working. On the latest manual this is on page 235 in section 4-97 - see the extract from the Owners Manual below.

Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Very helpful-thanks

I need to check this on a COLOUR screen--so what better than the real thing, next time I have been for decent drive. How do I navigate to applications on the info screen plse.....so as i can have a look at fuel economies etc

and- related--where-within the manual is there a simple guide as to just what the info screen can and cannot do for owners over and above the audio/navigate buttons ( the ones most drivers use ie me)-I have never utilised the applications monitors and would like a nice look--and maybe feel confident that I have understood just what is available to monitor, understand and even-if necessary- change) .

A YouTube link would be a great help-but a quick surf does not reveal.

Thanks very much in anticipation.
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

I don't think there is a Mazda video showing off all the options within the Infotainment screen. You might be lucky and eventually find a YouTube video that someone has done. So you are left either with looking through the Owners Manual or just trying out the Apps and Settings options (the other ones are Audio and Nav which you know about) at either end of the home Infotainment screen. The Fuel Economy Monitor display is within the Apps menu.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

OK-one last question plse--and then I reckon I've understood it !-thank you for patience

With the warmer weather of the last few days--Istop is working-great.

I went on a half hour drive and on returning home , parked accessed the applications screens with the engine stopped-( yes!!-because it was in Istop mode). I studied the petrol monitor screens -all understandable( I am averaging 42MPG)--then after a few moments I slightly revved the engine, selected a gear and Istop correctly came off . Obviously--since i was studying the applications screens i was then not moving -only idling.....Istop then did NOT come back on when I put the gear back in neutral.I checked the applications screen and it was greyed out-with engine"not ready" highlighted. The handbrake was not applied
My question and my guess -Istop does not work in the idling mode i described in para above -yes? no?

Thanks for very helpful replies so far-
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

See the following posts:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=830&start=90
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Again--very helpful and i am learning. This morning the Istop would NOT come on and I checked the info screens which displayed a greyed out engine and the words NOT READY. Then I suddenly realised I had the clutch depressed. Putting there car in neutral and disengaging gear stick instantly enabled Istop.
So--all in all-it certainly does work, but it's taken me a week or so to properly understand the kick offs and the shut offs. There is logic --so patience has paid off.
All in all--at the end of the day--has it saved me much petrol when it's working?....yes....a little ....perhaps.
Hey ho!
shift74

Post by shift74 »

I have an issue about the istop information showing on the info screen. In the first month when I bought the car somehow I managed to make the istop screen show every time istop is enabled and hide when the car starts- no matter what the current screen is /before istop engages/ - music, nav, phone etc.
Now the only way to see seconds istop counting is to be on the istop screen permanently.