SBS "OFF" indicator displaying

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Can someone help me to more fully understand a little (more than the manual !) why this illuminates on a misty/damp/coldish morning and remains on for around 3 or four miles? --this is the yellow display-not the red warning display. The display did not illuminate during the summer months.

I fully understand that the sensor on the windscreen( inside and out) is sensitive to misting/(dirt?) plus there is an additional sensor in the name badge at the front of the vehicle

As with everything to do with Mazda-the indicator must be there for a purpose? But why particularly this facility and not the hundreds of other components that will operate more fully when up to temperature?

What I hope to eradicate is any thought that this yellow light is not about to convert itself into a red warning .

As an aside--I am not sure I will ever need SBS.iF i can't stop my car-I shouldn't be driving?
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Dogfuzz wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:09 am ...I fully understand that the sensor on the windscreen( inside and out) is sensitive to misting...
I think you've answered your own question. The forward sensing camera is in the housing behind the rear view mirror and looks out of the windscreen at the road ahead. When you start a journey on a 'misty/damp/coldish' morning, the camera lens and/or windscreen can take a while to demist and you'll get the amber warning light in the instrument cluster until the camera can make out a clear image.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Dear jtonline
Thanks for yr response on 24/12 and assurances. I agree with you. Since the 24/12-I have been monitoring this SBS light's behaviours and it is exactly as you say. I find it fascinating.
What I have noticed is that when the yellow light comes on it is always AFTER the heat from the blower has begun to make a difference to the ambient temperature and to the inside temperature of the windscreen-say a minute or three( sudden warmth of hot on cold?).. Am I right in assuming therefore---that whilst the windscreen is probably demising quickly, the CAMERA, or the housing is taking longer-hence it is the misted camera lens/housing that is causing the yellow light to ignite???
I should add that the windscreen outside and inside is perfectly clean and clear, as is name badge where i understand a sensor is also located.
The light continues to go off after a couple of miles.
Thanks--would welcome a comment.
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018