Leaking Shock Absorber

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Derbro

Post by Derbro »

In for 2nd service. Got phone call, found leaking offside rear shock absorber, have ordered part,will replace under warranty, just keep the courtesy car until it has been fitted. And hears me thinking I was lucky and had a trouble free car. Don't know how big or small the leak is , just have to believe what the dealer tells you. Think this is the first time this fault has been mentioned on this forum, or is it. Anyone else had this experience, is it a common fault or am I just unlucky.
By the way for info, have negotiated the cost of 2nd service £200 +vat.
Ceramic Metalic Sports Nav 2litre petrol Auto 2017

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

As I understand it, it's recommended to replace shock absorbers in pairs:
https://tennecoaftermarketemea.prezly.c ... s-in-pairs#
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

Jtonline is correct, shocks should only be replaced in pairs.
2019 CX-3, 2.0 Sport Nav+, Soul Red, Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Petrol, Manual.
Derbro

Post by Derbro »

Thanks for the advice guys. I will certainly be asking the dealer for the work sheet.
GeeJam

Post by GeeJam »

Derbro, this CX-3 forum link may help. We also had leaking shocks not long after we bought the car.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=850

Hope you get it sorted.
CX-3 Sport Nav 2.0L Petrol. Manual. Soul Red & Half Stone interior. From new Sept 2015. South Lincolnshire UK.
Derbro

Post by Derbro »

Geejam, thanks for the link. It is all sorted now and working fine. They only replaced the one shock absorber that had the leak. This I questioned and asked for written information that says it is ok to replace only the one as I had written guide lines that it was good practice to replace in pairs. Yes it was good practice in the past but today manufacturers and motoring experts write ' if the vehicle is fairly new with low mileage it is most acceptable to replace only the leaking one . Todays shock absorbers are not as rigid as they used to be and will mate up with the one opposite more easily'. My vehicle has only done 8500 miles and therefor I had to go along with what the experts are saying. On the positive side the car is driving really well.
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

I can see what they are saying up to a point, but last year I a rear shock absorber fail on a 6 month old Triumph Bonneville and the dealer changed both because Triumph insisted they are changed in pairs. A bit more sensitive on a bike than a car but I get the feeling the Stealers are penny pinching as they very often do.
2019 CX-3, 2.0 Sport Nav+, Soul Red, Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Petrol, Manual.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Personally I can't see a problem with changing just one shock on a relatively low mileage vehicle - especially only 8500!
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...