Steering wheel cruise control mode inadvertently switched on...

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Frightening experience yesterday(monday). Cruise control got inadvertently mode(d) ON on the steering wheel( have never used it before) -and off course car naturally would not speed over 20mph. Stopped in lay-by thinking that vehicle might have been in "limp mode". Car would not restart immediately-starter button dead, all warning lights showing. Two minutes later car did start ,warning lights went out and I slowly drove the 2 miles home. After 5 mins on arrival home, discovered and exited the cruise control "on" mode on steering wheel, but the vehicle would NOT re-start.
Half an hour later with cruise control mode still OFF, all was well and vehicle started.
Vehicle started fine this morning and all behaviours fine.
Very helpful Mazda Roadside Assistance summoned who found "no faults" other than a very slight low voltage in battery( car not used on sunday)
Was this just one of those things or...?
Am monitoring carefully and am suspicious. All comments welcome
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Sounds like you may have inadvertently set the speed limit function (not the cruise control).

Presumably you had the clutch disaengaged when attempting to restart - it is easy to be confused and flustered when something unexpected happens. The warning lights will show when the engine first starts - they all then go out once the car has completed its checks. If the engine is left in the "accessory" state, ie on but no running, the dash lights will be on
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Very useful reply Greenman-thanks.
Been wondering if all this might be due to the sluggish low voltage in battery-eg throwing settings out etc..
Noticed this afternoon for example that my trip meter had inadvertently switched from odometer to trip B.....well...I didn't switch it and nobody else did? ....also the little green auto light on the display is now NOT on but the light stalk is in the "auto" position.
And yes-it was the speed limiting mode (not cruise control) that had been inadvertently switched on.....again...I didn't do that, neither did my wife.
I wonder if there is a battery power drain somewhere?
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Have you any non-mazda electrical parts fitted?

Difficult to say without checking the car over, but It's possible you have a low battery voltage issue (although you say the roadside mechanic said 'very slight'), a duff battery, a battery lead needs tightening, a broken wire somewhere... or none of the aforementioned.

I would urge you to familiarise yourself with the meaning and position of all the instrument cluster warning/information icons, so you know what's normal and what any newly lit ones mean. The speed limiter, when set, lights up a LIM icon.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Just recently had first Mazda service, hence delay in responding to jtonline. No--no non Mazda parts fitted!

At service-Requested full check over re earlier low battery voltage issue. Dealer -knew I had contacted Mazda Assist. They double checked everything-All reported fine--so maybe my whole episode may have been a bleep--or even the dreaded human error? .

If it was the latter, the only thing it may have been was driving up a moderate hill, in 5th or 6th gear-thinking I was in 3rd or 4th, with the vehicle loaded with three quite heavy bags of garden compost . Short of replicating the exact scenario( no thank you) ,I guess I will have just to live with the whole episode as a one off.

Dealership weren't particularly worried since they were happy with what they checked over ( I take this positively) but suggested i might have experienced a sudden injection of "poor fuel". I wonder.

I wonder if this will happen again? Hope not.