Dual Mass Flywheel kaput after 39000 miles

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

all cars should be warranted for the 60'000 miles and not be time-limited. and if I were a chief executive that's what I'd do. if Kia can do it for the average person with a 7-year warranty then all car manufacturers should be able to do the same. that 9'000 miles a year total 63'000 miles of the 7-year period
Lexus 250h UX premium sport edition

Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Does anyone have any knowledge of the signs of DMF failure? I think the DMF on our Mazda 2 1.5 diesel might be on its way out @ 63,000 miles. Over the last 6 months I have noticed an occasional judder from the clutch when changing from 1st to 2nd and the car seems to “surge” at about 30mph in 4th gear. This morning I got the judder when setting off in 1st for the first time ever. There is no clutch squeal. Are these possible signs of a failing DMF or could they point to something else?

Is there anyway to check the DMF for play without taking the gearbox out? How much is a new DMF, clutch and fitting likely to be and is it likely to be a main dealer only option? Can anyone in the North Yorkshire area recommend a Mazda independent special garage?
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

Percy247 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:05 pm Does anyone have any knowledge of the signs of DMF failure? I think the DMF on our Mazda 2 1.5 diesel might be on its way out @ 63,000 miles. Over the last 6 months I have noticed an occasional judder from the clutch when changing from 1st to 2nd and the car seems to “surge” at about 30mph in 4th gear. This morning I got the judder when setting off in 1st for the first time ever. There is no clutch squeal. Are these possible signs of a failing DMF or could they point to something else?

Is there anyway to check the DMF for play without taking the gearbox out? How much is a new DMF, clutch and fitting likely to be and is it likely to be a main dealer only option? Can anyone in the North Yorkshire area recommend a Mazda independent special garage?
Does the judder disappear after a few miles after first start? If so its probably condesation on the plate/flywheel with the cold mornings..When a DMF starts to fail the first sign is usually a lot of noise from the clutch, Knocking, Grinding sounds and clutch slip.
2017 CX 3 1.5 Diesel Sport Nav
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Graeme67 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:14 pm
Percy247 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:05 pm Does anyone have any knowledge of the signs of DMF failure? I think the DMF on our Mazda 2 1.5 diesel might be on its way out @ 63,000 miles. Over the last 6 months I have noticed an occasional judder from the clutch when changing from 1st to 2nd and the car seems to “surge” at about 30mph in 4th gear. This morning I got the judder when setting off in 1st for the first time ever. There is no clutch squeal. Are these possible signs of a failing DMF or could they point to something else?

Does the judder disappear after a few miles after first start? If so its probably condesation on the plate/flywheel with the cold mornings..When a DMF starts to fail the first sign is usually a lot of noise from the clutch, Knocking, Grinding sounds and clutch slip.
Thanks for your reassuring response Graeme. Yes it’s always first thing in the morning and the judder does go after a few miles. Hopefully it’s condensation and not an issue!

I find CX-3 owners with diesel engines are like hens teeth. Have you had any other issues such as injectors, egr or dpf? What sort of dpf regelation frequency are you getting? Ours seems to regen every 150 miles! How quickly does your Oil life monitor go down? I changed the oil 6 months ago and have done 3500 miles and OLM is down to 50%. Thanks again for your reply.
Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

Percy247 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:39 pm
Graeme67 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:14 pm

Thanks for your reassuring response Graeme. Yes it’s always first thing in the morning and the judder does go after a few miles. Hopefully it’s condensation and not an issue!

I find CX-3 owners with diesel engines are like hens teeth. Have you had any other issues such as injectors, egr or dpf? What sort of dpf regelation frequency are you getting? Ours seems to regen every 150 miles! How quickly does your Oil life monitor go down? I changed the oil 6 months ago and have done 3500 miles and OLM is down to 50%. Thanks again for your reply.

Not had anything like that (yet) only the air con packed up which is a common fault apparently, And had to replace the battery as it would go flat if the car was left for a couple of days. I tend to give the car a run of about 70 miles every week or so down the A1 motorway then back. Regens arn't that often, Probably same as yours. Oil was changed in December, Haven't done many miles since and it's down to 70%..
2017 CX 3 1.5 Diesel Sport Nav
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Touch wood we have had no issues so far with DPF, injectors or EGR but suspect it’s only a matter of time! With regards the Aircon, I suspect that when the condenser was replaced on our car under the recall that the dealership fudged it and managed to allow most of the coolant to escape. Had it regassed last summer and the technician said it was basically out of refrigerant. I have a bit of a love hate relationship with the car. I like the 65+ mpg, 35,000 miles from a set of tyres and zero road tax but having to manage and drive around the DPF regens is a ball ache and the paintwork is just not fit for purpose!
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

65+ mpg!!. Zero road tax!!
Are you sure you've got the right car. Or are you just forgetting to pay Rishi Sunak his pound of flesh?
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

HouseSpider wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:27 pm 65+ mpg!!. Zero road tax!!
Are you sure you've got the right car. Or are you just forgetting to pay Rishi Sunak his pound of flesh?
With diesel at £1.70 minimum, i am still paying for it! £68 to fill up but least I get 600 miles + from a tank.