Electric wing mirror got folded the wrong way

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
vaux_2

Post by vaux_2 »

Evening all,

Courtesy of my missus, my plan of buying new cars so i didn't have to fix anything anymore might have been scuppered.

Working for the NHS, her staff carpark gets packed like a tin of sardines. So when someone reversed in next to her, so close a door couldn't open, she didn't consider how close its wing mirror was. She started reversing out of her space, turned to look out the rear then "clatter". She didn't take kindly to me pointing out she has a rear camera so doesn't need to look out the back :lol:

Anyways, although theres barely a scratch on her mirror, the internal motor is no longer closing the mirror when the car is locked and just whirring away.

Does anyone know if its repairable or will it be a replacement job? Are the internals of these mirrors even accessible? (read somewhere you have to destroy the glass to get in?)

Or am i just going to have to bite the bullet ...and tell her she'll need to pay the stealership to fix?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers,

Iain

(2018 Sport Nav, AWD, 2.0 Skyactiv Manual, safety pack)

TAX

Post by TAX »

Something similar happened to me a while back, reversing out of my garage, the wing mirror caught the door post and became partially folded back on itself.

The motor would not move it to bring it back to its normal position, it just buzzed and whirred, and I feared the worst, but manually and very very gently pushing the mirror back into its normal position it make a very loud click as it finally resumed its normal position, and since then it has operated normally.

Hopefully you may be able to do the same. Good luck.

I am now much more careful reversing out of my garage. One of the reasons for purchasing the CX3 was that it actually fitted into the garage. Cars are getting wider and wider and my garage was built in the days of Minis and Ford Anglias.
SEPT 2017
CX3GT AUTO PETROL. CERAMIC METALLIC. 39 MPG
YORKSHIRE.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

The mirror comes in about 4 parts. Cover, light, glass and main body. I think you might end up with the latter. I can’t remember the price and I can’t check before Sunday but maybe £100 plus VAT. That isn’t bad considering some are several hundred quid. The motors were a weak point so they might start selling them separately.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD