tank fuel pump failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
tiboreb

Post by tiboreb »

Hi! My 2 year old CX-3 failed to start after short distance run. After the engine gets cold it start again.
At the dealership they said it is the fuel tank pump wich is not delivering enough amount of fuel.
Have any of you heard something simmilar?

Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

Not with a CX3 but i had the same problem with a Ford Fiesta a number of years ago and it was a design fault as the pump was set too low in the tank so if you didn't have much fuel left in the tank or went round a bend etc it would cause fuel starvation.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

I also had a problem back in the 80's with a Porsche 924. There was a non-return value in the fuel line that keep the fuel injection system pressurised. This failed so the vehicle would take an age to start after stopping with the engine was warmed up.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
switchback

Post by switchback »

How short a distance run did you do? I had it a few years ago in a Mazda 5 where I just drove it out of the garage, then back in a while later and next time I went to use the car it wouldn't start. The Mazda recovery man just pushed the accelerator pedal to the floor and wound it over until it started....................Like you used to do with a flooded carb years ago.
2018 CX3+ Sport Nav 120 Petrol Manual. Machine Grey.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

I've heard of a plastic bag in the fuel tank blocking the flow!
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
tiboreb

Post by tiboreb »

switchback wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:26 pm How short a distance run did you do? I had it a few years ago in a Mazda 5 where I just drove it out of the garage, then back in a while later and next time I went to use the car it wouldn't start. The Mazda recovery man just pushed the accelerator pedal to the floor and wound it over until it started....................Like you used to do with a flooded carb years ago.
Hi! Something like that. A couple of times I managed to restart it li9ke you wrote, but twice it went on trailer to the station. They changed the pump, and it was a failure of the brushes, which in a position woud't wind the rotor - they explained. ? As long it was under warranty I did not bother. :-)