Steering wheel alignment problem

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Deleted User 155

Post by Deleted User 155 »

Hi all,

first post :D here but thought I'd jump right in!

Anyone notice their steering wheel is not level when driving in a straight line?

I've had my CX-3 now for about 2 weeks but I noticed this straight off the forecourt, I told the salesman I'd monitor it and see how it went but after 600 miles, and tyre checks it's no better and really starting to irritate me!

Basically when travelling straight on a flat road the steering wheel is off-centre when maintaining a straight line, it's not a lot, probably about three degrees left hand down but nevertheless I want it seeing to.

I took it back to the main dealer this morning to have the wheel alignment checked, unfortunately after 2 hours hanging around they decided they don't have the software for the CX-3 for the 'machine' so after 2 hours I left, they'll call...

However I thought I would do a bit of digging around and it seems it's not so simple as a straight forward wheel-alignment correction for this problem. The wheel alignment probably may not cure the problem and from there you need to go a bit deeper...

I found this link on YouTube, where the guy has exactly what I am experiencing, albeit from the U.S. - so my problem is left hand down, not right hand down, I guess due to driving on the opposite side! He had taken his car back to Mazda and was getting nowhere with a simple wheel-alignment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRGGYVGw24U

Then I found this Service Bulletin document from Mazda re an exact same issue -
Mazda Service steering Wheel off centre 02-005-10.pdf
(201.21 KiB) Downloaded 579 times
Seems as though it's likely to be the Tie-Rods.

So I was just wondering if I was alone with this problem?

It's early days for the CX-3 but like the service bulletin document would suggest if enough drivers report this issue then Mazda will address it generally.

Cheers

Phil

anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Welcome to the club Phil.

That's one problem that gets right up my nose although the dealers often treat you as if there's nothing better to worry about.

I don't have it but maybe one of the others do. That's one of the best TSBs I've come across on the subject and I don't know why they didn't just do it as its a fairly straight forward process.

I don't know where you are but if not too far from Buxton, I will do it for you if you can't get them to play ball.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
Deleted User 155

Hi anchorman and thanks for the welcome!

I agree about the dealers! tbh I left feeling like a whingeing schoolboy, but glad you don't have the problem...

I'm down in Surrey, but really appreciate your kind offer and I'll update on how it pans out, I'm new to Mazda and I want things to work out,

ever the optimist,
Phil
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

deep blue wrote:Hi anchorman and thanks for the welcome!

I agree about the dealers! tbh I left feeling like a whingeing schoolboy, but glad you don't have the problem...

I'm down in Surrey, but really appreciate your kind offer and I'll update on how it pans out, I'm new to Mazda and I want things to work out,

ever the optimist,
Phil
I'm the same buddy and have been a staunch Toyota man for years. This is all new and I'm feeling my way round. I'm a tad apprehensive but the dealer couldn't even fasten on my number plates properly so I dread anything complicated!

We all need to stick together and see how things progress. Hopefully our fears will be unfounded and these will prove cracking little cars.

Sharing info is vital so we can get the best out of them.
Deleted User 155

Hmmnnn, :| ... thinking I'm alone with this problem!!! :lol:
Deleted User 155

UPDATE, fwiw - the dealer's really annoying me now. :evil:

I took it in last week and hung around for 2 hours only to be told they don't have the 'software' for the wheel alignment/tracking machine as the CX-3 is so new. They woud call me when it was in - they didn't, I rang them - the person I saw at the time was the one authorised to order it in but went on holiday without doing it, another week wasted and so it goes... I talked to another dealer who thought it was all a bit of BS! I said I thought it a bit odd that they were selling cars they can't fix, and this is a main dealer!

If anybody's reading this please don't hit any potholes, kerbs or do anything that knocks out your wheel alignment just might be that it can't be fixed! :lol:

...more later
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

deep blue wrote:UPDATE, fwiw - the dealer's really annoying me now. :evil:

I took it in last week and hung around for 2 hours only to be told they don't have the 'software' for the wheel alignment/tracking machine as the CX-3 is so new. They woud call me when it was in - they didn't, I rang them - the person I saw at the time was the one authorised to order it in but went on holiday without doing it, another week wasted and so it goes... I talked to another dealer who thought it was all a bit of BS! I said I thought it a bit odd that they were selling cars they can't fix, and this is a main dealer!

If anybody's reading this please don't hit any potholes, kerbs or do anything that knocks out your wheel alignment just might be that it can't be fixed! :lol:

...more later
You don’t need any software, you need two spanners and the bulletin below as a guide. Tossers!
Deleted User 155

UPDATE! ...well I went for the third time to the dealers and they did the wheel alignment this morning, ...result!
They showed me the print out and parts were in the 'red' - it was corrected and now all seems fine. Phew! seems like third time lucky but I'm glad I persisted! :lol: ...now to check the coolant...!!