Tyre Rotation.

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

I usually keep my cars around 3 to 4 years depending on what is available as i always buy ex demostrators.

I have always changed the tyres round at 18/20 months from front to back and this has meant i never need to buy tyres(unless i have a puncture etc that can't be fixed)

As my mileage is around 8000 miles per year this means the fronts will have around 16000 to 18000 miles when i change them with the back.

At present the fronts have around 5mm tread with the backs around 7mm.

As the Toyo are quite hard wearing they may last till 32000/34000 miles before i change the car but i feel this will be pushing it.

Do you also do this or just buy two new tyres for the front when needed.

All views appreciated on the plus and minus of this.

Many thanks

Mark

HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

I've not rotated mine and still have over 2.5mm in the centre of the front tyres after 55,000 miles but the shoulders are down to the minimum and there is a little blistering on them. The rear have about 3mm but one of them has a slight bulge in the middle of the tread.
I'm therefore changing all of them at once (booked in for next Wednesday) but for a quieter tyre.
If I was keeping the Toyos I would replace them in pairs.

WP_20190623_13_22_19_Pro.jpg

WP_20190623_13_22_03_Pro.jpg

Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
March

Post by March »

what 'quieter' tyres are you buying?
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

Falken Azenis FK453 CC.

Was going to get them changed on Friday but they only had 3 of the 4 I ordered. Seems they are not readily available down here in Hampshire.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

My car had it's third annual service and it's first MoT last week at 13,600 miles.
The vehicle health check printout showed that all four tyres had the same 5mm tread depth remaining, so no need to rotate.
I too will be choosing a quieter tyre than the original rock hard Bridgestone Turanzas. The quietest choice appears to be the Goodyear 4 Seasons Gen-2, unless anyone here knows otherwise.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

zoylander wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:00 am My car had it's third annual service and it's first MoT last week at 13,600 miles.
The vehicle health check printout showed that all four tyres had the same 5mm tread depth remaining, so no need to rotate.
I too will be choosing a quieter tyre than the original rock hard Bridgestone Turanzas. The quietest choice appears to be the Goodyear 4 Seasons Gen-2, unless anyone here knows otherwise.
What tyre size and what are the label scores?
The Falkens are C for economy, A for wet, and 67db. They seem to be the best all round that I could find for the 18" rims.
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

Tyre size 215/60R16. C for economy, B for wet, 69db for external noise. Cabin noise level may differ.
Comfort and silence are my main reasons for choosing an all season tyre with it's softer compound.
Price and economy are not priorities, otherwise I would not be scrapping the noisy hard Bridgestone Turanzas long before they wear out.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

WP_20190628_18_45_29_Pro.jpg

Have now had my Falkens on for approx 200 miles. Whilst this is a comparison between worn Toyos an new Falkens my initial observations are:
    tyres are noticeably quieter even on concrete motorways
    Ride is smoother
    Side wall hive more protection against the tendency for wives to kerb the wheels :lol:
    MPG has instantly gone down by about 5mpg :cry: I'm sure this will improve quite quickly.

So far very pleased with them.
    zoylander

Post by zoylander »

Unable to stand the noise and vibration from the original Bridgestone Turanzas any longer, even though they still had 4/5mm of tread remaining at 15,000 miles, I have replaced them with Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-2's. They were not cheap. I could have recouped a few pounds by selling the Bridgestones, but I would not wish them on anyone else.

After about 300 miles including local running about and a fast motorway trip, I am pleased to report a distinct improvement. Road noise and vibration are reduced, and the already excellent steering feels lighter and smoother. MPG is unaffected.

Of course the deficiencies of the pre-facelift CX-3, overly firm suspension and minimal soundproofing, still make themselves felt but to a lesser extent. I understand that the current CX-3 has addressed these deficiencies, proof positive that I was only one of many who complained, but why didn't Mazda get the car right the first time?
    Deleted User 1511

Post by Deleted User 1511 »

zoylander wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:34 pm . I understand that the current CX-3 has addressed these deficiencies, proof positive that I was only one of many who complained, but why didn't Mazda get the car right the first time?
    Maybe a combination of budget, supply chain schedules, production schedules, marketing schedules....

All cars go through a “facelift” incorporating various improvements....If you want the best version, purchase a run out model...