Battery charging query.

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
lhcmazda

Post by lhcmazda »

Can you charge the battery using a standard charger and the battery connected to the car, my car is a Mazda CX-3 2.0 ltr Sports Nav AWD. The I-Stop has stopped working and the Battery Symbol in the "Economy Meter Screen" does not have the Blue Halo, also it constantly shows "Not Ready".
2018 CX-3 Machine Grey 2.0 Petrol 150ps Auto Sports Nav AWD plus Safety Pack

Spragclutch

Post by Spragclutch »

I charged mine yesterday, even although it's a brand new car. You never know how long it's been sitting around somewhere before it reaches the dealer.

Took about 2 hours to fully charge. Didn't remove the battery - just put red lead onto the battery positive and the black one to where the negative/earth cable attaches to the car body, although the negative terminal should work just as well.
switchback

Post by switchback »

What sort of driving have you been doing.............Short journeys or multiple starts won't recharge the battery enough .
2018 CX3+ Sport Nav 120 Petrol Manual. Machine Grey.
lhcmazda

Post by lhcmazda »

Mainly short journeys longest being 60 miles round trip, the reason I asked about charging the battery was because the car had not been used for 3 weeks and I assumed that the battery would have been discharging in that time, and I wanted to just top it up prior to starting the car i.e. on a fully charged battery. The I-stop function has not worked since I charged the car. I used a good Solid State standard charger with a Max output of 8 amps. I would not have thought that any damage could have occurred to the electronics of the car and in particular the I-stop facility by charging up the battery whilst connected to the car.
Deleted User 1511

Post by Deleted User 1511 »

What does the manual say about disconnecting, or leaving connected, the battery whilst charging?

Also, i read that “smart” trickle chargers, like Optimate or Ctek are recommended so that the battery is not “overcharged”.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Here is a document about battery recharging.
Battery Recharging.pdf
(80.29 KiB) Downloaded 690 times
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
lhcmazda

Post by lhcmazda »

Thanks for all the replies to my problem, I arranged to book the car into Mazda to sort it out when today the i-stop started to work again and is now fully restored, I have no idea why it ceased to work and similarly no idea how the facility restored itself, but I'm a happy bunny. Incidentally when i-stop was not working and the Economy Meter showing "Not Ready" the battery symbol had no blue halo, but now the i-stop is working and the battery symbol is surrounded with the blue halo.