Check Engine Light and loss of power

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Chad

Post by Chad »

Hi - I've got a recurring problem with my 1.5d cx3 auto. The engine warning light keeps coming on and the car desperately lacks power to the point where it simpley won't accelerate. e.g. if im travelling at 70MPH and press the accelerator, nothing happens, other than it kicks down and the revs increase. Yet no increase in speed. Pulling out of junctions is dangerous. Theres a about 1 second delay before the car starts to move and then its like towing a caravan up a hill. This is a 1.5 turbo diesel- I know its a small engine, but it has more power that Megan diesels, Citroens deisels and peugeot diesels that I have owned over the years and they were absolutely fine once the turbo kicked in. SG Petch had the car for 3 weeks, said it was just a filter. a week later, the light is back on. They obviously havent a clue whats wrong with the car. Anyone else had this problem? Im seriously thinking of getting rid of the car. It looks great im not putting up with such poor performance and reliability. Its only done 20K miles and serviced on the dot.
CX3 Sport Nav Auto 1.5d. Soul red 48mpg (long motorway commute) 0-60mph in around 20 minutes :roll:

Deleted User 1511

Post by Deleted User 1511 »

how far and on what type of roads is your typical journey?
Chad

Post by Chad »

My commute is 64 miles per day. Around 56 of those are on the A19 dual carriageway. The rest urban, 30-40mph. I only use reputable fuel, not that I’m convinced there’s any difference.
CX3 Sport Nav Auto 1.5d. Soul red 48mpg (long motorway commute) 0-60mph in around 20 minutes :roll:
Chad

Post by Chad »

Just completed my usual commute, and the usual lack of power remains. If I go down hill with only me in the car I can reach an impressive 74mph! But it takes a long time to get there. Car booked in to SG Petch AGAIN next week. If they don’t sort it this time, I’m trading it in for a another brand.
Deleted User 1511

Post by Deleted User 1511 »

If the EML is on, the engine is probably in what is referred to as “limp” mode, which reduces the power and rev range.

Im surprised the dealer didn't read and resolve the error code causing the EML...maybe they can do a better job this time...

Have faith - Im sure it will be resolved.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

If it was stuttering and losing power on acceleration, particularly going uphill, I would suggest a blocked fuel filter or a faulty fuel pump. If they replaced the fuel filter, did they flush the tank of potentially dirty diesel first?

The engine management liight can come on for a variety of reasons. Is it the only warning light that illuminates on the instrument panel?
Surely a qualified mechanic with all the Mazda diagnostics kit and access to tech support will be able to identify the issue?
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

In your position, I'd take my car to another dealer if there was one within reasonable distance. I would have thought if it is covered by warranty then you should be given a courtesy car while they diagnose and properly fix the problem. Taking 3 weeks to determine and supposedly fix just a filter is pathetic !!!

p.s. I know Mazda dealers can be few and far between, even in my fairly heavily populated area in the South of England.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

I'm wondering if 'just a filter' is perhaps referring to the DPF?? in which case the problems could be varied (egr valve, turbo problems, blocked DPF amongst others?) all far too common problems to the modern diesel engine if short journeys and low speed, stop/start conditions prevail.
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Chad

Post by Chad »

Update: I ran the car as low on fuel as I dare, and filled it up twice with Esso synergy? Or whatever. This is what is now a regular occurrence; the check engine light remains on. The engine starts fine, it drives fine- responsive etc. Until around 20 miles. Then without any spluttering or juddering, it loses power. The first I notice is that the car hardly responds when the accelerator is pressed. It struggles to accelerate. Even if I floor the accelorator - kick down- it doesn't accelerate. Today in kick down on the A174 it would not increase from 61mph. The gears kicked down but the revs just sat there at 4000rpm. I had someone in the car with me today to confirm that I was on the flat and that the car was not increasing in speed.
What I can say - and this surprised me- is that the Esso fuel DID make a difference. But only for the first 20 miles or so. I have a Mercedes diesel and have recently just sold my 2016 530d and the brand of diesel made ZERO Difference to those cars. But with this Mazda it definitely does. This tells me that it is either a fuel supply issue (clogged filters) or a breathing issue such as a blocked silencer - (I once had a VW that had a collapsed catalytic converter that caysed back pressure and resulted in similar symptoms) . Took VW 6 attempts over 3 months to find this fault). Does anyone know if these 1.5 diesels have an egr valve? And a catalytic converter? (I know diesels don't need them in the UK but manufacturers often still fit them to meet European emission tests)
Chad

Post by Chad »

It's booked in to SG Petch on Wednesday so I will continue to update you all as & when I get this sorted. And comment on this particular dealership.