Tow bar fitting to cx3

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

Hi guys, just bought Thule bike carrier and tow bar for my cx3. I am not looking to fit full electrics as it will only ever have a bike carrier on the tow hook. The carrier and tow bar were expensive enough, so, being handy with spanners I have decided to try a diy fit. The instructions are the usual poor pictorial, multi language with very few words. It doesn't look too difficult, but involves removing the rear bumper, lights, rear wheel arch extension, and rear wheel arch liner lower section. Does anyone have a copy of the workshop manual to give me a couple of pointers as to how and where to start. I don't really fancy learning as I go, that is a recipe for disaster with all these little plastic clips.thanks.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather Aug 2015

anchorman

Post by anchorman »

I do at home so will post it up for you in the morning.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

That would be great. Thanks for your help.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

mum@mazda wrote:That would be great. Thanks for your help.
Oops! Better late than never.
bumper rear.pdf
(838.91 KiB) Downloaded 902 times
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Sorry, one or two more........
rear light.pdf
(502.77 KiB) Downloaded 637 times
This one shows how to remove the over fender enough to get the bumper off;
CX3 Rear Mudflaps.pdf
(506.84 KiB) Downloaded 597 times
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

Thanks very much for the info, I will take my time and read it many times before I make a decision as whether to try myself or leave it to the experts, there does appear a lot to do. And a lot to go wrong and spoil my lovely new car.

Thanks again for your help.
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

So, spent 4 hours today fitting towbar less electrics. :o All went smoothly, thanks to Anchorman for his help. ;) Can't tell it's fitted when the ball is removed, it's really solid and sturdy fit. Looking forward to getting the bikes on the back. :roll:
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

mum@mazda wrote:So, spent 4 hours today fitting towbar less electrics. :o All went smoothly, thanks to Anchorman for his help. ;) Can't tell it's fitted when the ball is removed, it's really solid and sturdy fit. Looking forward to getting the bikes on the back. :roll:
Good stuff. Show us some pictures when you get chance. Did you use a dedicated loom?
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

Just a couple of pics showing the tow bar - start at the bottom and scroll upwards (still getting to grips with adding pictures ;) ). You cannot tell without the ball fitted that anything has been done. I did not have to modify the undertray as suggested in the instructions because I was not fitting the electrics. If you are to fit the plug, you have to cut away some of the tray, but it is well out of site. The bike carrier is very sturdy, but a little difficult to set up to carry 2 mountain bikes. We ended up using a temporary cross bar thing to secure the 2nd bike, but this very much depends on your style of bike.

DSC_0389.JPG

DSC_0388.JPG

DSC_0382.JPG

DSC_0381.JPG

DSC_0379.JPG

anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Excellent. Its why its sometimes better to cough up and get the proper kit - they just look and function better.

Would you mind scanning the instruction or emailing me a copy? I would like to look if I may.