Tow bar fitting to cx3

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

Hi Anchorman, leave it with me and I'll get them scanned in - although they are mainly pictorial.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather Aug 2015

mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

Here is a scan of the most important pages from the fitting instructions.
CX3 Towbar361.pdf
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 685 times
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

mum@mazda wrote:Here is a scan of the most important pages from the fitting instructions.
Brilliant, thanks.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
jaylangton86

Post by jaylangton86 »

Just completed a self fitting of a detachable thanks to the guides on here.

Also fitted full bypass electrics which have worked a treat, if anybody needs any help then just shout up.
2016 CX-3 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol 2wd Dynamic Blue
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

Hi, yes i have decided to go ahead with the electric fit as the bikes completely block out the lights. Have priced up the mazda loom at about £90, which i can live with, and fit it myself. Did you fit the mazda loom? Have got the fitting instructions from the dealer, and it looks straightforward, except the parking sensor wires, there are 2 options apparently. How do you choose, or is it obvious once you see the loom that is fitted to the car. Also, is it easy to remove the plastic trim along the bottom of the door frame, i hate those plastic clips that just break because they can.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
jaylangton86

Post by jaylangton86 »

Hi I bought a dedicated wiring kit from Witter, basically an extra loom and two good sized relays.

The parking sensors were the only tricky bit in my opinion, more due to access restrictions and identifying the correct wire. The manual stated it was grey but it was actually pale blue, but was obviously the correct one against the bunch of other wires it was with. I had three options according to the manual, but it was again obvious which one I had to do.

I shared your fears with stripping the plastics based on past experiences. However my cars brand new, 300 miles on it, so things came away really easy with no casualties.
2016 CX-3 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol 2wd Dynamic Blue
RoyVernon

Post by RoyVernon »

Read this post with interest; and a big thank you to anchorman and mum@mazda :)

I had booked my CX-3 into my local dealership for a detachable to be fitted, but two days before it was due to be done, they phoned to say that they didn’t actually fit them and were trying to source a local “towbars-r-us setup” to do the job!! :(

Far from impressed, but as I have over the years fitted these to various cars: admittedly less fiddly and more simplistic 70s and 80s machinery why not have a punt myself

So with these three .pdf’s, this forum and maybe a touch of YouTube if I’m lucky; come the better weather I too will attempt the DIY approach (especially as there is something in the order of a £300 saving in the offing)

I do however see much cussing and swearing in the distance - ha :lol:
2017 CX-3 SE-L Nav Auto in Grey 8-)
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

It went fine for me, just the usual apprehension about stripping a new car and cutting wires. But once I said "here goes nothing" it was OK. Mechanically it is easy, electrically it is a bit more complicated, but still do able with basic tools and maybe a meter. Afterwards, cannot tell I''ve messed with anything. Well pleased.
Give it a go, you should be fine. Why give your dealer more money than you have to.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

We got the detachable towbar fitted by our Mazda dealer before we picked on up. No worries about wiring etc. And as far as I know fitted correctly, unlike my previous car (Vauxhall) which I had one also fitted by the Vauxhall dealer, who then failed it's MOT for having an unsafely fitted towbar, lol.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Beachman

Post by Beachman »

looks great, but as you have no electrics are you breaking the law covering your number plate, just a thought
Se-l nav auto dynamic blue petrol