Front number plate holder

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

A few members have attached the holder with 6mm bolts, I have been a long time getting round to re re fixing my wobbly holder, but had a quick poke around before I start....I can see a problem getting my hand behind the bumper whilst holding a 6mm nut, did you guys struggle with that or do I have giant fat hands :lol: advice would be appreciated.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019

AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

How about some kind of 6mm captive nut where you don't need to get behind the bumper? i.e. drill a 10mm hole pop the captive nut through and when the bolt is tightened the nut is pulled toward the frame of the bumper and expands it's holder to grip.
(I know it's an American site, but just for the explanatory picture).........

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/8807/12 ... lvo-987282
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
switchback

Post by switchback »

Perhaps it's meant to be wobbly for pedestrian safety......................Fixing it rigid could be classed as a modification for insurance purposes and perhaps invalidate it?
2018 CX3+ Sport Nav 120 Petrol Manual. Machine Grey.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

switchback wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:01 pm Perhaps it's meant to be wobbly for pedestrian safety......................Fixing it rigid could be classed as a modification for insurance purposes and perhaps invalidate it?
Thank you for pointing out that I am so stupid that I can't tell the difference between something that has been badly fitted by my dealer, and is loose and wobbly due to the incorrect use of a pop rivet gun, and something that meets its design criteria.
I am sure that changing pop rivets for bolts does not constitute a modification. It can never be rigid due to being fixed to flexible thin composite material.
switchback

Post by switchback »

They all wobble a bit which is why I said what I did. Had you explained your diagnosis before then I wouldn't have wasted my time trying to assist..................Why not take it back to the dealer to sort out.
2018 CX3+ Sport Nav 120 Petrol Manual. Machine Grey.
Idavies999

Post by Idavies999 »

I took min back to the dealer, the rivet had come out completely, they just re-riveted it.
03/17 CX-3 Sport Nav, Deep Crystal Blue, 2.0 Petrol, Manual
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Idavies999 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:48 am I took min back to the dealer, the rivet had come out completely, they just re-riveted it.
Being an old school engineering apprentice toolmaker/fitter, I am not keen on pop rivets as a fixing method especially on thin composite material, much prefer a nut and bolt.....still Mazda know best :lol:
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Not keen on captive nuts then Dave :?:
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

It is a plan but it would mean drlling a 10mm dia hole and if the installation is unsuccessful you are stuck with it, and in thin soft materials the problem is stopping them turning whilst they are tightened up. I think you are referring to a jack nut which expands from behind whilst being tightened.
Forgot to say thanks for your input though Andy
AndyRen

Post by AndyRen »

DaveG wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:50 pm It is a plan but it would mean drlling a 10mm dia hole and if the installation is unsuccessful you are stuck with it, and in thin soft materials the problem is stopping them turning whilst they are tightened up. I think you are referring to a jack nut which expands from behind whilst being tightened.
Forgot to say thanks for your input though Andy
That's a good enough reason Dave. Twas just an idea I threw in the pot.