Possible Clutch Release Bearing issue??

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Nick_B

Post by Nick_B »

On Saturday I collected my 2016 CX-3 1.5 SkyActiv Diesel Sport Nav (Manual) form the dealership after its 4th service. It has only covered 31k miles and is covered by Mazda Extended Warranty at £34.99 pcm.

Upon collection, I was advised that there is a 'knocking' noise when the clutch is depressed and it is thought to be linked to faulty clutch release bearing. Sadly the chap on the desk at the dealership couldn't offer me any further advice at the time, as other departments within the garage were closed and key staff were not there with it being the weekend.

Before I contact the garage again, I wondered if anyone else has had this issue? and does anyone know how much it is likely to cost to have the bearing replaced?

What would also be very helpful is if anyone knows if its likely to be covered by my extended warranty with it only covering 31k miles and having full dealer service history?

Any help/advice would be most welcome, prior to me contacting the dealership.

Many thanks,

Nick_B
2016 CX-3 1.5 SkyActiv Diesel Sport Nav (Manual) in Ceramic Metalic

Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

Can't help with a CX-3 issue but my wifes MX5 has had the same issue for the last 10000 miles and although noisy at times it hasn't failed.
Deleted User 1511

Post by Deleted User 1511 »

The car was serviced and the "technician" who completed the work couldn't provide more details? Or was the work done Friday and you collected the car Saturday?

I don't recall a release bearing making a knocking noise - more typically a squeal or "grumble". Can you hear the noise ?
Nick_B

Post by Nick_B »

The technician was not able to tell me the answers to my (above) questions sadly on Cost/Warranty Cover/Etc other than there was a fault thought to be the clutch release bearing, which was causing a change in engine noise when depressed. The noise is neither a squeal nor a grumble....it's more like a loud sewing machine.

I have heard the noise for about 1000 miles now and naively hoped it might be something that could be adjusted/lubricated as part of the service. To-date it hasn't let me down nor become problematic (other than the noise).
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Mazda Extended Warranty Policy Handbook states items covered by the Elite level include "CLUTCH -Release bearing, master and slave cylinders (excluding burnt out parts and general wear and tear)." If it turns out to be a fault caused by wear then it won't be covered by the policy.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Nick_B

Post by Nick_B »

Thank you jtonline. Very helpful as always!!

At 31k miles, I would hope that Mazda would not put this down to fair wear and tear. As the car has not had a hard life, I would have expected such items to last longer than that.....what do you think??

Would you happen to have an idea whether its an expensive job, if its not covered by my warranty? I am just curious to know before I phone the dealership.

Many thanks for your help on this!!

Regards,

Nick_B
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Sorry, I can't help you there, I've only ever owned automatics.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Nick_B wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 am ....it's more like a loud sewing machine.

I have heard the noise for about 1000 miles now and naively hoped it might be something that could be adjusted/lubricated as part of the service. To-date it hasn't let me down nor become problematic (other than the noise).
As CX3fan says, a squeal or a grumble is a more usual release baring noise - a sewing machine sound more to do with the clutch itself perhaps? (mind you... I haven't had a clutch apart for many a year!) Can you feel anything through the pedal when depressed?
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Nick_B cost wise for replacing a clutch including new clutch and release bearing is I reckon around the £630 mark at a franchised dealer, and around £400 none franchised garage. I put my registration in a clutch replacement service on line and those were the quotes.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
Nick_B

Post by Nick_B »

AndyRen wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:30 am As CX3fan says, a squeal or a grumble is a more usual release baring noise - a sewing machine sound more to do with the clutch itself perhaps? (mind you... I haven't had a clutch apart for many a year!) Can you feel anything through the pedal when depressed?
Thanks Andy.

Can't feel anything any different through the pedal.

The engine runs at tick-over as sweet as a nut, but when you press the clutch in the engine just sounds louder and rough. I tend to dip the clutch in traffic as I don't really get on with the stop/start....I find it irritating!