Possible Clutch Release Bearing issue??

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Nick_B

Post by Nick_B »

DaveG wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:58 am Nick_B cost wise for replacing a clutch including new clutch and release bearing is I reckon around the £630 mark at a franchised dealer, and around £400 none franchised garage. I put my registration in a clutch replacement service on line and those were the quotes.

Thanks very much Dave G.

I'd be mortified if I had to pay for the replacement of the clutch at 31k miles. In the first instance I will speak to the dealership and see where we go from here. Thank you very much for your help.
2016 CX-3 1.5 SkyActiv Diesel Sport Nav (Manual) in Ceramic Metalic

Nick_B

Post by Nick_B »

Thank you Dave G for the advice on costs!
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

So what about when you start the engine where you have your foot on the clutch? Noisy at startup then ok when foot removed?
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Chad

Post by Chad »

To be honest clutches can wear prematurely. If you hold the clutch down at every junction and do a lot of stop start driving then it’s very possible to wear a release bearing and or the clutch friction plate out at 30k miles. You may also ‘ride’ the clutch unwittingly- eg do you rest your foot on the clutch when you are driving? Or hold the car on hills with the clutch instead of the handbrake? Alternatively do you release the clutch quickly? Release bearings aren’t always bearings as such- sometimes they are Carbon like friction discs with no moving parts. Either way they don’t usually ‘knock’. Typically they make a scraping/wearing noise when the clutch is pressed. This noise gets louder over the weeks/months. It will most likely only fail if you ignore this for months or a few thousand miles. If this bearing is worn it would be cost effective to get a whole clutch assembly replaced -pressure plate/clutch plate & bearing. The biggest expense is the labour.
CX3 Sport Nav Auto 1.5d. Soul red 48mpg (long motorway commute) 0-60mph in around 20 minutes :roll:
Nick_B

Post by Nick_B »

DaveG wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:58 am Nick_B cost wise for replacing a clutch including new clutch and release bearing is I reckon around the £630 mark at a franchised dealer, and around £400 none franchised garage. I put my registration in a clutch replacement service on line and those were the quotes.
Thanks Dave G much appreciated! :D
Deleted User 1511

Post by Deleted User 1511 »

Nick_B wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:25 pm
AndyRen wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:30 am As CX3fan says, a squeal or a grumble is a more usual release baring noise - a sewing machine sound more to do with the clutch itself perhaps? (mind you... I haven't had a clutch apart for many a year!) Can you feel anything through the pedal when depressed?
Thanks Andy.

Can't feel anything any different through the pedal.

The engine runs at tick-over as sweet as a nut, but when you press the clutch in the engine just sounds louder and rough. I tend to dip the clutch in traffic as I don't really get on with the stop/start....I find it irritating!
I missed this post - sitting with the clutch depressed and disengaged for long period won’t help and may accelerate the wear on the bearing..
Deleted User 1096

Post by Deleted User 1096 »

CX3fan wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:59 pm
Nick_B wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:25 pm
AndyRen wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:30 am As CX3fan says, a squeal or a grumble is a more usual release baring noise - a sewing machine sound more to do with the clutch itself perhaps? (mind you... I haven't had a clutch apart for many a year!) Can you feel anything through the pedal when depressed?
Thanks Andy.

Can't feel anything any different through the pedal.

The engine runs at tick-over as sweet as a nut, but when you press the clutch in the engine just sounds louder and rough. I tend to dip the clutch in traffic as I don't really get on with the stop/start....I find it irritating!
I missed this post - sitting with the clutch depressed and disengaged for long period won’t help and may accelerate the wear on the bearing..
No might - it will mess with the thrust bearing and it does not make for good driving - if you are in a line of traffic and you are rear ended you will (by reaction) take your foot off and drive into the car in front - your fault not the guy who rear ended you.