Flashing Wrench Light

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

So it's not a simple case of draining any water from the filter and it must be taken to a dealer? I thought the days of draining water from a Diesel filter were long gone??
2017 CX 3 1.5 Diesel Sport Nav

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Weirdly, Mazda only seem to have put the flashing wrench indicator description in the Web version of the Owner's Manual, I can see no mention of it in the printed or PDF version. It does say in the manual that the diesel fuel filter should be drained at every scheduled maintenance interval & replaced at every 3rd.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Does anyone know if the diesel fuel filter on the Mazda 2 DJ is located in the same place as the Cx-3? If so it seems to be in a very inaccessible location and almost impossible for the DIY home mechanic to change. Why does the filter need draining annually? On all other diesels that I have had, it was simply a case of changing the filter element every 3rd service or so.
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

To answer my own question, yes it is. Once the cover is removed would it be possible to simply unscrew the filter from the housing using a 76mm oil filter socket? This would save undoing the housing and disconnecting and reconnecting the fuel lines with all the associated access problems! Has anyone managed to successfully do a DIY fuel filter change?
Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

I was a bit worried about changing the filter myself so i took it to my local garage (Not mazda), They just unscrewed the old filter and caught he excess diesel that was in the filter, It was black,, screwed new fiter on and started the engine which cut out after about a minute, Cracked it over and started, Took him about 10 minutes..Theres no nasty things waiting to catch you out. I will be doing it myself next time.. Just remember to use a good quality filter, Probably avoid Genuine Mazda, They are overpriced.
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Graeme67 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:33 pm I was a bit worried about changing the filter myself so i took it to my local garage (Not mazda), They just unscrewed the old filter and caught he excess diesel that was in the filter, It was black,, screwed new fiter on and started the engine which cut out after about a minute, Cracked it over and started, Took him about 10 minutes..Theres no nasty things waiting to catch you out. I will be doing it myself next time.. Just remember to use a good quality filter, Probably avoid Genuine Mazda, They are overpriced.
Cheers for confirming this @Graeme67, I will give it a go next time It needs changing. I will either fill the new filter with fresh diesel and try and hand tighten it, or failing that, I will try turning on the ignition a few times for 10 seconds but not starting the car, to try and prime the filter.

My dad wants me to service his Kia Sportage and to change the fuel filter you need to remove the battery and tray as well as moving the air box and ECU before disconnecting 3 x electrical connectors, 2 fuel connectors, then removing the filter housing and them finally the filter! Sounds like a job for local garage to me.

Thanks again.
Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

I'd heard some horror stories about changing the filter but after watching the mechanic change the filter there's not much to it. I was a bit concerned when he opened the bonnet and started looking for the filter :).. It was obvious he hadn't done a CX 3 before, But i pointed him in the right direction. The filter can be quite tight and there isn't much room to loosen it by hand, There's some sort of metal cover at one side of it. You might need a strap wrench or similar to loosen it.....He switched the ignition on and off (Not starting the engine) to prime the system, But when he did start it the engine cut out. He cranked it for about 15 seconds, The engine started and just left it ticking over for a couple of minutes, And that was it..... Didn't fill the the filter canister with diesel, Just screwed the new one on dry. But no, Nothing really scary about it, Hope this helps