Istop warning!

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Boyle de Cabbage

Post by Boyle de Cabbage »

mum@mazda wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:46 am It isn't that I don't want to use it, I would be glad if it worked at every junction or set of lights. I am frustrated when it refuses to work. It has been back to the dealer several times, and had a new battery fitted under warranty. I have done 30000 miles in 4 years, so it is not "garage jewelry". It just doesn't work for me.

I would be curious to see what you guys are getting with regards to saved fuel/milage on systems that do appear to function correctly. Anybody fancy posting their data just for info?
Can't answer your fuel saving question; I don't take much notice; sorry.

But on the i_stop not working front. The battery needs to be well charged. Mine stopped working a couple of weeks ago. My car is Aug 2015 with the original battery. I put it on charge for a few hours and i_stop is now pretty flawless. However, if my journeys are short with many restarts, the battery will need a longer journey to build to a level where i-Stop will work again.

If I were designing the system I would set the i-Stop minimum battery voltage quite high to protect the battery; so I imagine this is what Mazda have done. In an emergency you would need your battery to work and not find it depleted by i-Stop.

If your car isn't behaving with i-Stop I would ask your dealer to check the battery voltage sensor for i-Stop. And also ensure the battery is charging from the alternator correctly. I'm not a mechanic, but if you've had new batteries there must be some other cause.

Looking at your handle I assume female. If so, you may well also have run foul of some garage dickhead who has upset a few settings to get you to spend money. They don't seem to do it to blokes. But in my experience it happens; they loosen earth connections and twiddle voltage regulators (nowadays not possible) so bulbs flicker and blow quickly.
Mazda paint is crap! Mazda should be ashamed of themselves!.

March

Post by March »

My guess is that the system sees what ampage is being taken and only uses I-stop when it believes the battery can take the load (see Apollo 13). I have found that when I-stop doesn't kick in, turning off the fan ca re-activate it.
Boyle de Cabbage

Post by Boyle de Cabbage »

March wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:50 pm My guess is that the system sees what ampage is being taken and only uses I-stop when it believes the battery can take the load (see Apollo 13). I have found that when I-stop doesn't kick in, turning off the fan ca re-activate it.
Current supplied tells you nothing about how much more current may be available over time. As a battery depletes its internal resistance to current flow increases. That means the "internal EMF" (Volts) gets larger; (Volts =Amps X Resistance). Thus the measurable external Voltage, that is the Volts across the terminals, decreases.

When a battery is checked, it is connected to a low value resistor to allow the Voltage to drive a large current through the Resistance. By looking how the Voltage across the terminals holds up a good/bad decision on the battery state can be made.

Physics lesson over.
Mazda paint is crap! Mazda should be ashamed of themselves!.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

mum@mazda wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:46 am
I would be curious to see what you guys are getting with regards to saved fuel/milage on systems that do appear to function correctly. Anybody fancy posting their data just for info?
I-stop has been on for 37 hours 22 minutes, range saved 240 miles, 5+ trees, what ever that means. Mileage is 66,680.

It's only ever the ac or the steering wheel position which seems to prevent it operating.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
santa

Post by santa »

I don't know for how long my i-Stop has been on but it's saved 268.8 km or 4 tress, mileage is 145,358 km.
So it's not a lot (I mainly drive out of town) but it has worked perfectly since new (December 2015 - still on the original battery)) and there's always a valid reason when it's not working, usually battery (if I have had a lot of smaller trips or many short stops), A/C or steering wheel as HouseSpider also mentions.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

santa wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:47 am I don't know for how long my i-Stop has been on but it's saved 268.8 km or 4 tress, mileage is 145,358 km.
So it's not a lot (I mainly drive out of town) but it has worked perfectly since new (December 2015 - still on the original battery)) and there's always a valid reason when it's not working, usually battery (if I have had a lot of smaller trips or many short stops), A/C or steering wheel as HouseSpider also mentions.
The first display screen in the app tells you how ling the i-stop has been operating for but only whilst i-stop is operating.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
santa

Post by santa »

HouseSpider wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:13 am
santa wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:47 am I don't know for how long my i-Stop has been on but it's saved 268.8 km or 4 tress, mileage is 145,358 km.
The first display screen in the app tells you how ling the i-stop has been operating for but only whilst i-stop is operating.
Mine doesn't show that :?:
The first screen shows the car and if i-Stop is ready, but no total km.
Second screen shows the actual time i-Stop has worked right now and the accumulated time for the trip but the for whole lfietime of the car.
Third screen shows the mpg graphs.
santa

Post by santa »

Second screen shows the actual time i-Stop has worked right now and the accumulated time for the trip but the for whole lfietime of the car.

edit - aaaaaaaaand now I think I get what you're saying...ha ha ha,
I'll check again when i-Stop is active and running (or is it?) to see if it shows the total km.

Edit edit - 28 hours and 56 min. in total 😊
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

santa wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:43 am

edit - aaaaaaaaand now I think I get what you're saying...ha ha ha,
I'll check again when i-Stop is active and running (or is it?) to see if it shows the total km.

Edit edit - 28 hours and 56 min. in total 😊
:D:
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

Thanks for the info guys.

So the figures are not that planet saving individually, but over the whole fleet/range I guess they do add up to a considerable amount. I appreciate that the economy of scale will bring down production costs etc. But from a customer feel good position, I think it could be made better/more efficient/more rewarding.

Just need to not be too obsessed about it, well, need to forget about it really. If Mazda are trolling the forum, just relax the parameters a little guys, then we can all see it working more often, and fell a bit better about saving the planet.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather Aug 2015