fuel range display

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
srd9420

Post by srd9420 »

My 2016 2.0l petrol se-l recently went in to the mazda dealership for the brake pad pins to be replaced under warranty, due to a knocking noise which I,m still not convinced is cured but anyway.
We always use the fuel range remaining countdown to fill up, and dropping off the car my wife noted the miles at 199. upon collection the display read 249 and we wondered if they had put fuel in. The dealership now say this is a coincidence and the fuel gauge must be faulty at a cost of £350 not covered by warranty. The display now goes up and down i.e. you start with 50 miles displaying after 1 mile goes to 43 then back up to 57 etc etc
My question is - is there any way they could have disturbed/damaged an ABS sensor which is throwing the computer and could this affect the miles remaining range display.

Any thoughts welcome before I get into battle with dealership.

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I never pay any attention to the distance-to-empty figure, I just use the fuel gauge and Mazda's recommendation to not let it go lower than 1/4 full.

In your case, if there is no past fuel economy information for the calculation because the battery leads were disconnected, the actual distance-to empty/range may differ from the amount indicated. See if it settles down over time.

I don't know the answer to your question about ABS sensor, except that if a wheel speed sensor was damaged it would throw up warning lights on the instrument cluster.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

I suggest that the range will change based upon the mpg of the last few miles.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Deleted User 1511

Post by Deleted User 1511 »

I am not aware of any connection between ABS / wheel speed sensors and the fuel gauge

The remaining range will vary according to a number of factors:
- was the car parked on a slope (this giving a "false" fuel remaining reading
- the range will always drop on first start up when the engine is cold. Very often in the morning, mine drops by c5 miles from the previous closing vale but after c10 miles can have added 15 to range
- as mentioned, the range is determine by the mpg over the last few miles, A lng run uphill will see the range reduce

I wouldn't worry
March

Post by March »

The fuel gauge and range readings do not align. I can achieve around 430 miles on one tank and when the range shows a quarter of this left, the gauge still shows over half full. I have noticed that the gauge plummets after half full. Experience has caused me to reply on the range reading and not the fuel gauge.
idavies1

Post by idavies1 »

As far as i can remember there are 2 fuel consumption settings one shows average consumption and one shows instant consumption something like that :D
2018 Sport nav. Blue.
Deleted User 1096

Post by Deleted User 1096 »

HouseSpider wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:32 pm I suggest that the range will change based upon the mpg of the last few miles.
Yes you are right here the estimated mpg is calculated by your most recent driving, so if you have been doing town driving as opposed to pottering down a motorway you will after a fill up get a different range estimate - after all that is what it is..