reversing sensor stopped working after bumper replacement

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Deleted User 1096

Post by Deleted User 1096 »

March wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:07 pm Of course I have taken it back!
Of course it was working before the damage occurred!
Nothing is showing on the diagnostics.

Now instead of sending daft replies, does anyone know what the long and short tones signify?
What I asked was - were they working after the damage and before you took the car into the garage..

Deleted User 1096

March wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:07 pm Of course I have taken it back!
Of course it was working before the damage occurred!
Nothing is showing on the diagnostics.

Now instead of sending daft replies, does anyone know what the long and short tones signify?
..if you thought they were working before the damage occurred - why did you hit the bollard.. so may be you thought they were working, but they were not..
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

If you have a bumper or sensors replaced, the sensors must be re-aligned using a special rig. If they are not aligned correctly they won't work properly. When my bumper was replaced the dealer had to borrow one from Mazda as their rig had been damaged while on loan to another repair shop. I think it is worth checking if the repair shop used the rig or if they had been trained in using it. If it wasn't a Mazda dealer that replaced the bumper it is unlikely they used a rig as they are very expensive.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
March

Post by March »

At last - a helpful reply! Many thanks Strangeways. The repair was not carried out by a Mazda dealer so I'll check that out. If you have any further details of the rig, please let me know.

In reply to Witfit, apparently with single narrow objects like a bollard, unless they are directly in line with a sensor they will not be detected. A number of owners have been caught out like this.

One final thought - If the replacement bumper is not OEM,(and I'm not saying it is not) should it still function properly?
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I damaged my rear bumper once and one sensor got grazed and became faulty as a result. A new bumper and sensor was fitted by a Mazda approved bodyshop. To my knowledge, no special alignment rig was needed.
Check your bodyshop didn't spray paint the bumper with the sensors fitted and bung one or more up with paint. Check the visible surface of each sensor for scratches/gouges.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Deleted User 1096

March wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:29 pmOne final thought - If the replacement bumper is not OEM, (and I'm not saying it is not) should it still function properly?
The bumper is a bit of plastic so will not affect the sensors.. a bit of a try is.. I will now check it out .. may be back.. back..

If none are buzzing then it is the connection to the harness..
March

Post by March »

Sorted!
Turns out it was simply a wire disconnected from a sensor. The disappointing thing is that a diagnostic check revealed absolutely nothing.